DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-AF100 series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/483744-panasonic-ag-af100-series.html)

Tim Polster July 8th, 2010 09:15 AM

I would not come down too hard on the big manufacturers. These are large entities who have many different divisions. They just can not act like a small company. Maybe one division's profits go to fund another division. The only real change for Sony & Panasonic is that people are not buying the $50k cameras in large numbers anymore. It is a race to the middle now.

What you have to understand is that we (the little producers, video people etc...) are not the main customers of these large companies. They are focussed on the news organizations. They are their largest clients. So why would you turn away from your largest client to go after a smaller segment which seems to want more and more for less in many ways?

Acutally, the Sony EX-1 was and is a groundbreaking product. It produces images that can be cut with the larger cameras.

I like the RED concept as well, but as we have all seen, the follow through with actual product releases has been challenging. A place that established companies like Sony, Canon & Panasonic know how to avoid for the most part.

The AF-100 has a lot to offer over vDSLRs. It will have a true video camera operational approach with XLR audio. I think the vDSLRs are fiddly and lack proper monitoring. I am not sold on using them in place of my video cameras. Also, the AF-100 will be mainly for cinema use. It will not come with a lens and might not even be able to power a motorized zoom servo. So unless one wants to shoot with a prime lens, it will be a little limiting for video use.

If Canon's latest video camera release is a guide, the cost of owning the good stuff will be at a premium.

Dan Brockett July 8th, 2010 09:22 AM

I agree with Tim totally. I own the 5D MKII and the HPX170. While I enjoy shooting with the 5D MKII, I use it for experimentation and as a b-camera. The aliasing, moire', horrible ergonomics, lack of built-in ND filtering, lack of TC, lack of high quality audio all mean that my HPX170 is still used on serious client projects 90% of the time.

DSLRs are great but are quite limited for a lot of types of production. I would gladly pay $6k for a video camera with a large sensor but with none or little of the moire', aliasing and ergonomic limitations that my 5D MKII has. If they get it right, I foresee the AG-AF100 being a huge hit.

DSLRs as video cameras is a temporary thing, it will be around for a few years until they are building most video cameras with large sensors and removable lenses. Then DSLRs can go back to being still cameras as they should be. I really dig my 5D MKII, but even Canon acknowledges that it was a total accident that they built the hottest video camera of the past five years.

Dan

Sam Meredith August 23rd, 2010 09:53 PM

Panasonic AG-AF100 series

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Memory Card Camera Recorder | Panasonic

"The worlds first professional HD camera conforms the Micro Four Thirds Standard
AVCCAM quality and functions achieve digital single lens still camera images"

Daniel Caruso August 24th, 2010 04:35 PM

thanks for the link! i have been searching google here and there but nothing has shown up. its essentially the write up from their PDF they release but one new photo. still, if this is being created, means the camera could be up on their site with final specs and price. i know i am waiting for one, cash already saved haha.

i dont think it will hinder me too much, seeing what the HDSLR sensors have handled it; but how does everyone think the AVCCAM footage will look at 4 2 0? thats my main concern but with a big sensor, such as the 7D for example, the colour seems good at a troublesome codec. my plan is nanoflash in the future if my project will require the quality, but for my current work, i think the AVCCAM will look good. camera looks great but have to see the image to really say.

dan

Daniel Caruso September 9th, 2010 11:21 PM

not sure if this had been discussed, but has anyone one found information as to if the camera will work with ISO or gain settings? as it is a large imager from their DSLR, one would assume they would keep these same film functionality to the camera and use ISO range.

dan

Bernd Eller September 10th, 2010 12:38 AM

Daniel,

the camera has a GAIN switch (L/M/H, same as ENG cameras have), so I´m pretty sure, the AF100/101 doesn´t use ISO. BTW, some interesting photos of the new camcorder, taken at the Panasonic booth at IBC, can be found here:
http://urbanfoxtv.blogspot.com/2010/...f100af101.html

Floris van Eck September 10th, 2010 02:58 AM

I am visiting IBC on Sunday, definitely checking this camera out.

Daniel Caruso September 10th, 2010 10:16 AM

thanks a lot for the info and link to the photos bernd! the camera definitely looks way better in its final stage than the NAB version. some new lines and markings really completes the camera. i am really excited to check this one out. money is saved, just waiting on time.

the ISO seems like a negative when comparing that one major feature in the HDSLR avenue was the ability to choose film speed. im sure the gain settings will be great judging on the sensor size and panasonics past products. hopefully they release some footage soon(unless there is some at IBC?) i also recall a discussion about the HD SDI out not having a 422 signal, which seems silly because that port should be uncompressed regardless. could be wrong here but if anyone found a definite answer that would be great!

let us know what you think floris.

thanks, its a good discussion and info. ill post for others but im sure you have seen this.

Camera - Recorder - AG-AF101

Panasonic Broadcast Blog / IBC Picture Gallery

dan

Bernd Eller September 11th, 2010 01:16 AM

Daniel,

good news for you! At least the prototype of the AF101 can have its sensitivity set as well by ISO as by gain levels. Of course, it remains to be seen if this possibility will still be there in the final version.

Manus Sweeney September 11th, 2010 01:37 AM

Interview with Barry Green at IBC whos been out shooting with it YouTube - Panasonic AG-AF101 Barry Green Interview

Moire/Aliasing is gone!

Annoyingly no mention of rolling shutter/Jello

I'll be there tomorrow, hopefully can ask someone/try it out.

This is going to be one KILLER camera! What more could anybody expect or want from a camera in fairness! If youre an average film maker not obsessed with 4k this camera is a dream!

Hanno di Rosa September 11th, 2010 04:35 AM

Its basically a GH1 with real audio features and more.....same sensor but advanced features....very very nice! Panasonic will surely sell thousands of these ( and 1 to me)
What a clever move! If this AF100 is in the shops in december they beat ALL the others including Scarlet.

Glen Vandermolen September 11th, 2010 07:16 AM

Exactly! When i saw the mock-up at NAB, I had to stop to pick my jaw up off the floor. I had no idea this camera was coming, not a hint on all the message boards. I knew this was what many had been waiting for. Kudos to Panasonic, they're gonna sell thousands of them.
Sony will probably sell a bunch of NEX VG10s as well. Canon, where are you?

Daniel Caruso September 11th, 2010 07:55 AM

here is a cool little video describing the features and giving a closer look at it. looks damn nice with a zeiss CP on it!

YouTube - Panasonic AG-AF101 Luc Bara

dan

Mick Jenner September 11th, 2010 08:52 AM

Any wildlife cameramen/ film makers have a view on this camera?

Nicholas de Kock September 12th, 2010 06:01 AM

Is it true that this camera will offer Full HD 1080 @ 50/60P? That would be revolutionary.