DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-AF100 series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/483744-panasonic-ag-af100-series.html)

Erik Phairas June 22nd, 2010 04:55 PM

Why is it designed to look like a fisher price toy painted black? Specs are awesome!

Warren Kawamoto June 22nd, 2010 07:24 PM

Help me understand this. A 1920x1080 chip is roughly 16:9. A 4/3 chip is more "square" in shape than a 16:9 yet it can shoot 1920x1080. Is it cropping the top and bottom of the image, essentially throwing away all those extra pixels, or is it re-scaling the entire image area to fit 16:9? Does anyone know?

Rene Rodriguez June 22nd, 2010 09:29 PM

Here's some info on the way the four thirds 16:9 sensor works in the panasonic Digital SLR.

The biggest Four Thirds sensor yet (Four Thirds User)

Mathieu Ghekiere June 28th, 2010 04:10 AM

Doesn't the camera support HD SDI out?
If you have that, you could put other recording solutions on the back of the camera, and don't worry about the low bitrate of the supplied codec.

The more competition, the better. It will remain interesting to see how the camera-landscape looks at the end of the year.

Daniel Caruso June 28th, 2010 11:23 AM

yeah that is true, but 3000 plus for a nonoflash added to the camera/lens price puts you in a whole new price point for a camera.

dan

Tim Polster July 8th, 2010 09:15 AM

I would not come down too hard on the big manufacturers. These are large entities who have many different divisions. They just can not act like a small company. Maybe one division's profits go to fund another division. The only real change for Sony & Panasonic is that people are not buying the $50k cameras in large numbers anymore. It is a race to the middle now.

What you have to understand is that we (the little producers, video people etc...) are not the main customers of these large companies. They are focussed on the news organizations. They are their largest clients. So why would you turn away from your largest client to go after a smaller segment which seems to want more and more for less in many ways?

Acutally, the Sony EX-1 was and is a groundbreaking product. It produces images that can be cut with the larger cameras.

I like the RED concept as well, but as we have all seen, the follow through with actual product releases has been challenging. A place that established companies like Sony, Canon & Panasonic know how to avoid for the most part.

The AF-100 has a lot to offer over vDSLRs. It will have a true video camera operational approach with XLR audio. I think the vDSLRs are fiddly and lack proper monitoring. I am not sold on using them in place of my video cameras. Also, the AF-100 will be mainly for cinema use. It will not come with a lens and might not even be able to power a motorized zoom servo. So unless one wants to shoot with a prime lens, it will be a little limiting for video use.

If Canon's latest video camera release is a guide, the cost of owning the good stuff will be at a premium.

Dan Brockett July 8th, 2010 09:22 AM

I agree with Tim totally. I own the 5D MKII and the HPX170. While I enjoy shooting with the 5D MKII, I use it for experimentation and as a b-camera. The aliasing, moire', horrible ergonomics, lack of built-in ND filtering, lack of TC, lack of high quality audio all mean that my HPX170 is still used on serious client projects 90% of the time.

DSLRs are great but are quite limited for a lot of types of production. I would gladly pay $6k for a video camera with a large sensor but with none or little of the moire', aliasing and ergonomic limitations that my 5D MKII has. If they get it right, I foresee the AG-AF100 being a huge hit.

DSLRs as video cameras is a temporary thing, it will be around for a few years until they are building most video cameras with large sensors and removable lenses. Then DSLRs can go back to being still cameras as they should be. I really dig my 5D MKII, but even Canon acknowledges that it was a total accident that they built the hottest video camera of the past five years.

Dan

Sam Meredith August 23rd, 2010 09:53 PM

Panasonic AG-AF100 series

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Memory Card Camera Recorder | Panasonic

"The worlds first professional HD camera conforms the Micro Four Thirds Standard
AVCCAM quality and functions achieve digital single lens still camera images"

Daniel Caruso August 24th, 2010 04:35 PM

thanks for the link! i have been searching google here and there but nothing has shown up. its essentially the write up from their PDF they release but one new photo. still, if this is being created, means the camera could be up on their site with final specs and price. i know i am waiting for one, cash already saved haha.

i dont think it will hinder me too much, seeing what the HDSLR sensors have handled it; but how does everyone think the AVCCAM footage will look at 4 2 0? thats my main concern but with a big sensor, such as the 7D for example, the colour seems good at a troublesome codec. my plan is nanoflash in the future if my project will require the quality, but for my current work, i think the AVCCAM will look good. camera looks great but have to see the image to really say.

dan

Daniel Caruso September 9th, 2010 11:21 PM

not sure if this had been discussed, but has anyone one found information as to if the camera will work with ISO or gain settings? as it is a large imager from their DSLR, one would assume they would keep these same film functionality to the camera and use ISO range.

dan

Bernd Eller September 10th, 2010 12:38 AM

Daniel,

the camera has a GAIN switch (L/M/H, same as ENG cameras have), so I´m pretty sure, the AF100/101 doesn´t use ISO. BTW, some interesting photos of the new camcorder, taken at the Panasonic booth at IBC, can be found here:
http://urbanfoxtv.blogspot.com/2010/...f100af101.html

Floris van Eck September 10th, 2010 02:58 AM

I am visiting IBC on Sunday, definitely checking this camera out.

Daniel Caruso September 10th, 2010 10:16 AM

thanks a lot for the info and link to the photos bernd! the camera definitely looks way better in its final stage than the NAB version. some new lines and markings really completes the camera. i am really excited to check this one out. money is saved, just waiting on time.

the ISO seems like a negative when comparing that one major feature in the HDSLR avenue was the ability to choose film speed. im sure the gain settings will be great judging on the sensor size and panasonics past products. hopefully they release some footage soon(unless there is some at IBC?) i also recall a discussion about the HD SDI out not having a 422 signal, which seems silly because that port should be uncompressed regardless. could be wrong here but if anyone found a definite answer that would be great!

let us know what you think floris.

thanks, its a good discussion and info. ill post for others but im sure you have seen this.

Camera - Recorder - AG-AF101

Panasonic Broadcast Blog / IBC Picture Gallery

dan

Bernd Eller September 11th, 2010 01:16 AM

Daniel,

good news for you! At least the prototype of the AF101 can have its sensitivity set as well by ISO as by gain levels. Of course, it remains to be seen if this possibility will still be there in the final version.

Manus Sweeney September 11th, 2010 01:37 AM

Interview with Barry Green at IBC whos been out shooting with it YouTube - Panasonic AG-AF101 Barry Green Interview

Moire/Aliasing is gone!

Annoyingly no mention of rolling shutter/Jello

I'll be there tomorrow, hopefully can ask someone/try it out.

This is going to be one KILLER camera! What more could anybody expect or want from a camera in fairness! If youre an average film maker not obsessed with 4k this camera is a dream!

Hanno di Rosa September 11th, 2010 04:35 AM

Its basically a GH1 with real audio features and more.....same sensor but advanced features....very very nice! Panasonic will surely sell thousands of these ( and 1 to me)
What a clever move! If this AF100 is in the shops in december they beat ALL the others including Scarlet.

Glen Vandermolen September 11th, 2010 07:16 AM

Exactly! When i saw the mock-up at NAB, I had to stop to pick my jaw up off the floor. I had no idea this camera was coming, not a hint on all the message boards. I knew this was what many had been waiting for. Kudos to Panasonic, they're gonna sell thousands of them.
Sony will probably sell a bunch of NEX VG10s as well. Canon, where are you?

Daniel Caruso September 11th, 2010 07:55 AM

here is a cool little video describing the features and giving a closer look at it. looks damn nice with a zeiss CP on it!

YouTube - Panasonic AG-AF101 Luc Bara

dan

Mick Jenner September 11th, 2010 08:52 AM

Any wildlife cameramen/ film makers have a view on this camera?

Nicholas de Kock September 12th, 2010 06:01 AM

Is it true that this camera will offer Full HD 1080 @ 50/60P? That would be revolutionary.

Michael Murie September 12th, 2010 07:23 AM

According to Panasonic's spec page:

Support video format: 1080i/50, 25p, 1080/59, 94i/29, 97p/23, 98p, 720/50p, 25p, 720/59, 94p/29, 97p/23, 98p

Which I think has several formatting errors (i.e. 29, 97p should be 29.97p)

The brochure they have says: 1080: 59.94i/50i/29.97p/25p/23.98p or 720: 29.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p

So the 50 and 60 @ 1080 are 50i and 60i

Paul Cronin September 12th, 2010 07:25 AM

That makes more sense to me Michael. Too bad the bit rate is so low. Would be nice to see 422 50Mb/s at least if not 100Mb/s.

Dan Brockett September 27th, 2010 12:41 PM

Who knows all of the detail about the AG-AF100?

1. Does anyone know for a fact whether the AG-AF100 can utilize ONLY Micro 4/3 mount lenses (natively without an adapter) or can it also (natively) use regular 4/3 mount lenses as well?

2. Is the run time of 720 minutes with two 64GB SDXC cards in the best quality mode?

3. Does anyone have any links to Micro 4/3 to Nikon F mount lens adapters? Is this something I should be looking on Ebay for.

Thanks,

Dan

John Dewey September 27th, 2010 01:03 PM

1. The AF100 can only use micro 4/3 lenses natively (without an adapter).

2. Yes, the 12 hours of recording time with two 64GB cards is in PH mode. PH mode is the highest quality setting.

3. I have heard good reviews on this m4/3 to Nikon F mount adapter: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/658892-REG/Voigtlander_BD332A_Micro_4_3_to_Nikon.html

Brad Parler September 29th, 2010 11:51 AM

TapeWorks Texas Sale price $4795 (body only) Now Accepting orders

TapeWorks Texas is now taking orders (first come - first served) on this camera! Details on lenses has not be defined by Panasonic, our sale price for the body only is $4795.00 and we have been told that Panasonic will be Shipping in December!

Visit Panasonic AG-AF100 Micro Four Thirds CineCam(Cinema Camcorder) for all of the juicy details.

Also - check out http://panasonic.biz/sav/broch_bdf/AG-AF100.pdf

Glen Vandermolen September 29th, 2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Parler (Post 1574047)
TapeWorks Texas is now taking orders (first come - first served) on this camera! Details on lenses has not be defined by Panasonic, our sale price for the body only is $4795.00 and we have been told that Panasonic will be Shipping in December!

Visit Panasonic AG-AF100 Micro Four Thirds CineCam(Cinema Camcorder) for all of the juicy details.

Also - check out http://panasonic.biz/sav/broch_bdf/AG-AF100.pdf

Your website has the $4795 price slashed through with "TBD" next to it. What does that mean?

John Vincent September 29th, 2010 11:13 PM

They might not be able to actually show a front page price (seems to happen a lot). Might have to order it and see the price in the cart...

Either way, an encouraging sign for lovers of the non-DSLR form factor.

Jordan Brindle September 30th, 2010 03:30 AM

For UK film makers.

Panasonic AG-AF101 (AG-AF100, AG-AF101, AGAF100) solid state camcorder with micro 4/3 sensor (near 35mm)

CVP have it listed at £4,581.33 inc. VAT.

Greg Harris October 7th, 2010 07:51 AM

In that review Barry did on the camera he said something about variable frames rates that can record in 1080 60p. Was that an error because looking at spec's I see 1080 60i. How much are the lenses slated to sell for? Barry said we can use our canon lenses. Does this mean I can take any Canon L lens and attach it to this bad boy?

Paul Cronin October 7th, 2010 04:40 PM

Greg I heard the same thing 1080p 60p in slow motion mode. Wow

Brad thanks for posting the video with Barry going over the camera. The more I hear about this camera the more I like it. Fills so many gaps. Look forward to seeing one in person and testing it out when then hit the market.

Andy Shipsides October 7th, 2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 1574053)
Your website has the $4795 price slashed through with "TBD" next to it. What does that mean?

The MAP (minimum advertised price) on the camera is $4795, which Panasonic announced to retailers officially a few days ago. So you won't find it listed cheaper than that. We have our pre-order list going here - Panasonic AG-AF100 Micro Four Thirds Professional HD Camcorder :: Compact HD Cameras :: Cameras :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech

Anyone have any suggestions on bundles they would like? We have a few in mind, but I'd like input.

Paulo Teixeira October 7th, 2010 10:42 PM

A case to fit the camera, lenses, etc.

1 or 2 high capacity memory cards.

Lens adapters to connect with lenses from other companies.

Choices of either a NanoFlash, Ki Pro Miini, or a Ninja.

For lenses you could easily have a bundle with either the 14-140, 20mm or the 7-14mm Panasonic lenses. You can also have all 3 or add the new 100-300mm lens.

GH2. I read that some people are planning to buy that as a second camera and besides, it's also one way to get the 14-140 lens cheaper.

Paulo Teixeira October 7th, 2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Harris (Post 1576431)
In that review Barry did on the camera he said something about variable frames rates that can record in 1080 60p. Was that an error because looking at spec's I see 1080 60i.

This was a misunderstanding in which Barry Green had to re-explain.
He only meant that the chip outputs 1080 60p but gets recorded to either 24p or 30p for slow-motion. Their is also mention of a possibility to play the clip at 200% speed and and use an external audio source. In theory that can probably give you true real time 1080 60p speed.

I do wish Panasonic would reconsider offering 1080 60p as a real time recording mode.

Greg Harris October 8th, 2010 09:32 AM

Agreed, 1080 60p would be so NICE to have. 720 60p is great but I don't understand how 1080 60p could be so hard to develop.

Any idea on how much these lenses will run?

Dylan Couper October 8th, 2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Shipsides (Post 1576623)
The MAP (minimum advertised price) on the camera is $4795, which Panasonic announced to retailers officially a few days ago. So you won't find it listed cheaper than that. We have our pre-order list going here - Panasonic AG-AF100 Micro Four Thirds Professional HD Camcorder :: Compact HD Cameras :: Cameras :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech

Anyone have any suggestions on bundles they would like? We have a few in mind, but I'd like input.

Andy:
FWIW, I rarely buy bundles with memory cards, bags, etc, because like most guys I've got a closet full of them. Lenses however... :)

Here are two that would be a no-brainer for most bundles:
-Panasonic 20mm f1.7
-Panasonic 25mm f1.4

And then for a zoom:
-Olympus 14-35mm f2.0
I don't think Panny makes one that fast. However, that's almost 1/2 the price of the AF100, so here are two other's that people on budgets might jump at:
-Olympus 14-54 f2.8-3.5
-Panasonic 14-50 f2.8-3.5 OIS
(I don't know if/how well OIS lenses are going to work on the AF100, I'm assuming it doesnt have it built in.

Vaughan Wood October 12th, 2010 07:04 PM

1st Footage from AF100

Here is first released footage from a prototype AF100 posted on vimeo.

Looks good!

Cheers,

Vaughan

John Vincent October 12th, 2010 07:25 PM

Panny's gonna sell a lot of these things...

Canon might just want to push that Mark III release up a bit.

Mike McKay October 12th, 2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaughan Wood (Post 1578186)
Here is first released footage from a prototype AF100 posted on vimeo.

Looks good!

Cheers,

Vaughan

Looks fantastic, of course the "...Zeiss Ultra Primes, HDSDI output, recording at 100 mbs on the AVC Intra HD codec..." probably have just a little bit to do with this image quality!!
Still very nice to look at. I'm looking forward to seeing what Lumix lenses on AVCHD look like.

Casey Krugman October 14th, 2010 03:27 PM

New Info for the Af-100.

PANASONIC ANNOUNCES DECEMBER DELIVERY, PRICING FOR AG-AF100

4/3” PROFESSIONAL HIGH-DEFINITION CAMCORDER

Best-in-Class 4/3” Sensor Delivers Depth of Field and Field of View Similar to that of 35mm Movie Camera; Camcorder Uses Low-Cost Still Camera and Film-Style Lenses

SECAUCUS, NJ (October 13, 2010) – Panasonic Solutions Company today announced that the

AG-AF100, the industry’s first professional micro 4/3-inch video camcorder optimized for high-definition video recording, will start shipping on December 27th at a suggested list price of $4,995. Highly anticipated since its introduction at NAB earlier this year, the AF100 is poised to set new benchmarks in digital cinematography.

Targeted at the video and film production communities, the AF100 delivers the shallow depth of field and wider field of view of a large imager, with the flexibility and cost advantages of a growing line of professional quality, industry-standard micro 4/3-inch lenses, filters, and adapters. The full HD 1080 and 720 production camera offers superior video handling, native 1080/24p recording, variable frame rates, professional audio capabilities, and compatibility with SDHC and SDXC media.

“The design of the AF100’s best-in-class 4/3-inch sensor affords depth of field and field of view similar to that of 35mm movie cameras in a more affordable camera body,” said Jan Crittenden Livingston, Product Line Business Manager, Panasonic Solutions Company. “What’s more, Panasonic engineering ingenuity has resolved the aliasing and moiré that has haunted the DSLR shooter. Indeed, the proof of concept of the AF100 was based on what we heard from and saw customers doing: purchasing DSLR cameras because they liked the look of the image, but then agonized over all of the workarounds required to come out with an acceptable high definition recording.”

The AF100 incorporates a large 4/3-inch,16:9 MOS imager that minimizes skew with fast imager scanning, and incorporates low pass filters for elimination of aliasing and moiré. Additionally, it has a built-in optical ND filter. The camcorder records 1080 at 60i, 50i, 30P, 25P (Native) and 24P (Native), and 720 at 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p and 24p native,in AVCHD’s highest-quality PH mode (maximum 24Mbps). The AF100 also records in AVCCAM’s HA (17 Mbps) and HE (6Mbps) modes, 1080i only. Ready for global production standards, the camcorder is 60Hz and 50Hz switchable. Equipped with an interchangeable micro 4/3-inch lens mount, the AF100 can utilize an array of low-cost, widely-available still camera lenses as well as film-style lenses with fixed focal lengths and primes.

Variable frame rates are available in 1080p, selectable in 20 steps from 12p to 60p at 60Hz and 20 steps from 12p to 50p at 50Hz. Standard professional interfaces include uncompressed 4:2:2, 8 Bit HD-SDI out; HDMI out; and USB 2.0. It records SMPTE timecode and is able to perform timecode synchronizing via the video output seeing timecode in. It has a built-in stereo microphone and features two mic/line, switchable XLR inputs with +48V Phantom Power capability. The camera can record 48-kHz/16-bit two-channel digital audio recording (in PH mode only) and supports LPCM/Dolby-AC3 in any of the modes.

This newest Panasonic AVCCAM camcorder is the first to enjoy the benefits of advanced SDXC media card compatibility in addition to existing SDHC card support. SDXC is the newest SD memory card specification that supports memory capacities above 32GB and up to 2TB. With two SD slots for continuous recording, the AF100 can record up to 12 hours on two 64GB SDXC cards in PH mode, with automatic clip spanning across the two cards.

Weighing only 3.5 pounds (without lens or battery), the AF100 is packed with high-end features including Dynamic Range Stretch in all modes and frame rates; six built-in, customizable scene files that are exchangeable for quick and easy matching between multiple cameras; seven built-in gamma curves with four selectable color matrices; Syncro-scan shutter; and a high-resolution LCD and viewfinder.

It also offers a focus assist that can be used while recording, which is color-on peaking and a focus bar; two sets of adjustable zebras; two manual black and white balance choices, and preset White Balance at 3200K, 5600K or variable; a waveform monitor and vectorscope for more accurate monitoring of broadcast safe levels. Other essential features include pre-record; an intervalometer function that can be set for up to 24 hours, programmable User Buttons; a Smart Battery interface for recording up to four hours with a 5400mA battery; metadata recording; and a wireless infrared remote controller.

Panasonic will support the AF100 with a three-year limited warranty (one year plus two extra years upon registration).

About Panasonic Solutions Company

Panasonic Solutions Company empowers people whose jobs depend on reliable technology. The company delivers collaboration, information-sharing and decision-support solutions for customers in government, healthcare, education and a wide variety of commercial enterprises. Products and services within the company’s portfolio include Panasonic Toughbook® mobile computing solutions, projectors, professional displays (including both plasma and LCD), and HD and 3D video acquisition and production solutions. As a result of its commitment to R&D, manufacturing and quality control, Panasonic is known for the reliability and longevity of its products. Panasonic Solutions Company is a Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, which is the principal North American subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation (NYSE: PC).

All brand and company/product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies. All specifications are subject to change without notice. Information on Panasonic Solutions Company’s full line of products can be obtained by calling 877-803-8492 or at Professional Video Cameras and equipment from Panasonic.

John Vincent October 14th, 2010 08:24 PM

How much does it's 8 bit processing affect the picture (when there are obviously higher bit rates possible)?

None, some, or potentially a lot? Guess I'm not exactly sure what that means....