Panasonic AF101 Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old October 12th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Panasonic AF101 Footage

So Heres what i can tell you.

We shot at an ISO of 200. Shutter off (shutter wasnt engaging to 180 so we left it)

We rolled internally to SDHC cards and then externally to a AG HPG20 recording AVC Intra 100.

Gamma was the 709 standard, Matrix HD Norm.. everything else set of 0.

We used a 24mm, 50mm and & 85mm for almost everything, Sitting at about t4 for most of it,, and wide open t1.9 on a couple of those shots. All Carl Zeiss Ultra Primes.

I did not edit this, but i'll do my best to get hold of all the footage including the AVCHD material over the next week.. because thats really want i want to see/grade, and will upload some less compressed files.

But, from what i saw in the suite, the 24mbps looked damnnn close to the avc intra with no grading.

This was shot yesterday.. cut quick and thus compressed quickly..

Enjoy.

Last edited by Joe Lawry; October 12th, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Trustee

bye bye aliasing!

Seriously well worth the price over a DSLR.

Thanks for sharing the footage.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for posting Joe,

Nice glass out front helps, either way this camera is a game changer when it comes to SDOF for a price we all can afford. Be interesting what Sony will do so they don't loose this market.

Hope to rent one when them come out to check it out with different glass and my Nano.
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sharpening?

Thanks for posting this -- it made my day.

Do you have any example footage with sharpening turned off? The current setting seems fairly heavy, particularly with the hard silhouettes. Detail in the model's hair seems to hold up remarkably well, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Panasonic AF101 Footage-af100-sharpening-artifacts.png  
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Major Player

nope. we had 5 hours with the camera, that was it.

sharpening was set to 0 from memory.
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
sharpening was set to 0 from memory.
Is there a negative sharpening setting (like what the JVC's have)? Something to turn it off completely?

What other color spaces or gamma settings does the camera offer? Anything similar to JVC's flat "Film Out" gamma or a LogC-like setting?
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Major Player

the camera has the exact same gamma and colour space settings as the HVX/HPX series.

didnt look into any of these settings really sorry, no time.
Old October 17th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #8
Panasonic Broadcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mast View Post
Is there a negative sharpening setting (like what the JVC's have)? Something to turn it off completely?
What other color spaces or gamma settings does the camera offer? Anything similar to JVC's flat "Film Out" gamma or a LogC-like setting?

All of the tools can go positive or negative, and there are seven different gamma curves in the camera. Unfortunately we have not named them Film Out or LogC so I am not sure what we have matches that of the JVC. We do have one that is a Cinelike D that might come close to the Film Out but not sure of the LogC.

Best,

Jan
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Jan,

The JVC's "film out" setting is very flat. The way I have my HM700's processing settings configured, it doesn't do much correction to the image when recording, so it's more flexible to work with in post when I'm grading. The output looks flat, but it actually gives me more useful latitude than Canon's DSLRs at their flattest setting, especially when dealing with saturated colors (like with lights in a rock concert).

Jan, thanks so much for being so active online and at expos to answer questions about the new Panasonic cameras!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders