Hmc40 vs hmc70 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old November 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Interesting move Adam!!

DSLR's seem to be gaining in popularity now but I'm still very cold towards them!! My simple opinion is that if Canon intended to make the DSLR replace video cameras then why do they still make their video range. The 12 minute limit annoys me a little and their audio is really not up to scratch. Lack of auto-focus is another huge issue. However it will be a very useful tool for doing cinematic shoots of short duration where depth of field is a priority!!

You must let us know how the footage matches up with the HMC40 ???? I was toying with the idea of using a Panny GH2 for my wedding photoshoots on stedicam (way cheaper than an HMC40 and a lot lighter) I figured that a Panasonic DSLR might be a better colour match than Canon??? Have you looked at the new GH2???? It might cost you a lot less than the 60D unless you are planning to spend big money on PL lenses?? It also doesn't have the 12 minute record limit and has autofocus too!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I looked into the Panasonic but the lenses seem very expensive compared to what I can get Canon lenses for. Nikon is coming out with a DSLR that will autofocus in video mode so that is a consideration. 12min. limit is definitely a hassle but after having shot my Pentax its not too big a deal.
Last week I shot an entire wedding with my Pentax and my second shooter used the HMC40. With a 50mm F1.4 lens the low light capability of the Pentax was awesome.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Personally, I sure wouldn't want to be fiddling around with a DSLR, for shooting wedding video, but I guess a lot of folks do it. From what I understand, you'll get a (notably) softer image from the 60D than from the HMC40, and the 60D is not going to perform as well in low light. If you do opt for going the DSLR route for shooting video, I'd suggest you look at the T2i. For shooting video, it's the same as a 60D (and a couple hundred bucks less expensive).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I like the 60D, its right in between the T2i and the 7D. The T2i felt cheap and consumerish. The 60D felt like a big step closer to a pro camera.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #20
Inner Circle

When it comes to shooting video, to the best of my knowledge, there's absolutely no functional difference between the T2i and 60D. I haven't yet had an opportunity to hold a 60D though, but I'm very interested in getting a T2i or 60D, primarily for shooting stills. I'd like to get the 60D for the faster burst rate, but wish they offered a 60D kit with the 18-55mm lens. I'll probably get the T2i though, since I don't really shoot stills very often.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders