Shoulder mounts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Trustee

Shoulder mounts

DM-Accessories - EX3-SHOULDER Shoulder Brace For EX3 Camcorders
Do you think this would work with a HMC-150?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Both the HMC150 and the 40 have the EVF at the back of the camera which makes it difficult to use a shoulder mount as you really do need the EVF on the side with a bit of an offset.

Remember the EX series have the EVF mounted much the same as shoulder mount cameras so when the pad is on your shoulder the EVF is in front of your right eye where it should be.

With the 150 you need a mount that's able to offset the camera so the pad is still on your shoulder but the eyepiece is in front of your eye. With the 150 that also means that the camera needs to be a lot further forward too!!!

Pity Panasonic never thought of putting the EVF in the same position as the EX3!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM   #3
New Boot

RedRock

Randy, I have a HMC40. For a shoulder mount I am using the RedRock shoulder mount rig. A bit expensive but it works great for in the field.
Randy Lintecum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Trustee

I wish Panasonic or someone would make a custom shoulder mount for the 150. Something with a good pad. that one looks like it would give you the feel of a real shoulder mount camera.
Old November 4th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hey Randy

I wish that they would put the bits and pieces of a 150 into a genuine shoulder-mount camera!!!

I'd love the HMC150 as a genuine shoulder mount. The thing I absolutely love about my HMC72's is that I can do everything on the camera body..no fiddling with menus and touch screens...!! At weddings you just don't have enough time to scroll thru menus and options when an external control would be so much easier!!

It's maybe worth looking at a standard shoulder mount and then putting a loupe and eyepiece on the LCD so it's in the correct position.

Chris
Old November 5th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I suggest to buy the Ebay item 190464400748 at about 130 Euros.
Antonio Ricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Trustee

I really love the image quality of my HMC-150 but I really miss a good shoulder mount camera. I mean a real one with a cushend shoulder pad and being able to put it in and off a tripod and not have the balance all jacked up. So much I even considered a HMC-80 but I heard its not as good in low light I would probably regret it. I have tried or seen pretty much every mount out there I really dont think there is one that is really going to do the job right. Although there is the new Sony piece that looks interesting but at $500 I really need to test it.
Sony | Micro Site XDCAM EX
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

I started with SM cameras in the 80's and when digital arrived I just couldn't get any decent shots with a camera the size of my hand!! I had to change over to older SVHS cams until SM digitals were affordable!! That's why I stick to Shoulder Mounts and I love 'em!!!

Browse thru the posts on this forum as I'm pretty sure that someone said that the HMC40 (and 80as it has the same "insides") actually resolves a sharper image than the 150!!!

You might be quite surprised at the low light performance...about 6 - 8 months ago someone posted test clips here with an HMC 40 starting at 0db and going right up to +24db!!! Those are worth looking at to evaluate the low light performance!!

Chris
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Trustee

Well it would be easy for me I have 2 HMC-150s so I could sell one and get almost enough for a HMC-80 then if it doesnt cut the mustered I could just use it as a cover shot. The 80 looks nice I wish it had a place for a anton/bauer then I wouldnt have to sell all my anton bauer stuff to buy LEDs.
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #10
Trustee

Where would I get a loupe and eyepiece for a HMC-150?
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

They make loupes for most DSLR's ..but Hoodman make quite a few different ones so they might be worth looking at. I would say that the most important thing would be, with the 150 on a standard shoulder mount rig, how far is the LCD from your eye??? Will the added loupe/eyepiece add enough distance to the LCD so your eye will sit snuggly on the eye piece ????
You are effectively doing (or trying to do) what Panasonic have already done on the 80..that is keep the LCD and simply add an eyepiece to it so you don't need an EVF. Being a shoulder-mount man already you are also aware that the eyepiece on SM cams adds extra stability as well so the height and fit need to be snug whilst keep the 150 and rig still comfortable on your shoulder.

I would initially make up a simple frame from some aluminium tube from the hardware store and then mount the cam on your DIY "rails" so you can experiment with it on your shoulder and actually see if the LCD position can be made effective enough to add an eyepiece.

If you do, keep us posted...an HMC150 shoulder mount camera would be an awesome setup to use!!!

Chris
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #12
Trustee

Westside A V Studios WEB Store
What do you think about this one?
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

The EX series have an offset EVF which makes a Shoulder Mount work well. The HMC150 is behind the camera which is the root cause of the problem. With the 150 the cam will be a lot more forward and you will have to have a rig that shifts the cam left so the EVF meets your eye. That's the problem area that I can see. The EX is designed almost like a SM camera without the pad and extension so it's easy to adapt. I think you will have a balance issue with the 150 and it's "far back" eyepiece!!

Chris
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #14
Trustee

Well if the viewfinder is the only thing getting in the way I guess my off season mission is to let a louep or a hood and try to get used to using the flip out viewfinder as my main viewfinder. Thanks for the input.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders