Run and gun with Panny AF100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 4th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
so you're saying 5D is clunky compare to AF100?
The 5DII is not clunky at all compared to the AF100. For one thing it is specifically designed to be used handheld & the shutter button & video start/stop buttons are easy to operate while the camera body feels comfortable in the hand.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #17
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The 5DII is not clunky at all compared to the AF100. For one thing it is specifically designed to be used handheld & the shutter button & video start/stop buttons are easy to operate while the camera body feels comfortable in the hand.
Give me a break, the ergos on the 5DmkII really suck for video. If you don't think so you have not used video cams very much.

Now I love the 5DmkII and I am not getting rid of it because I have the AF100, I also have the F3 on order. The F3 and the AF100's are real video cams. The 5DmkII is not, (like I said I still will use it for video and stills of course).

Niether of these (AF100 and F3) cams are meant to be R&G cams, but they are real video cams with proper audio etc. This makes them much easier to use for video, if you can't admit that the 5dmkII, is a challenge to use for video, you are in denial, in my humble opinion. Like I said I still will use the 5D for video, one really good reason is it can be invisible, when naked. But it is not a video camera.

The AF100 and the F3 can be set up as can the 5D to be shoulder mounted, but the short comings in the 5D ergos and bad audio make the real video cams way superior in my opinion.

My favorite ENG cam at this time is the EX3, with shoulder bracket and NanoFlash and IDX battery. Very comfortable light and balanced. And it has a proper servo zoom lens and the possibility of mounting better (more expensive) ENG lenses.

So my bottom line is I will be using the AF100 for more relaxed ENG (is there such a term) and the 5D for low key shoots, but most of my pure ENG will be with XDcams.

Just my nickel, I don't mean to offend anyone.

These are exciting times, I love all the new options coming out.
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Give me a break, the ergos on the 5DmkII really suck for video. If you don't think so you have not used video cams very much.

Now I love the 5DmkII and I am not getting rid of it because I have the AF100, I also have the F3 on order. The F3 and the AF100's are real video cams. The 5DmkII is not, (like I said I still will use it for video and stills of course).

Niether of these (AF100 and F3) cams are meant to be R&G cams, but they are real video cams with proper audio etc. This makes them much easier to use for video, if you can't admit that the 5dmkII, is a challenge to use for video, you are in denial, in my humble opinion. Like I said I still will use the 5D for video, one really good reason is it can be invisible, when naked. But it is not a video camera.
I think that you have misunderstood my point. I was specifically referring to the ergonomics of actually holding the 5DII vs the AF101. The 5DII feels comfortable & balanced in the hand whereas the AF101 (for me at least) feels awkward. With my hand in hand-grip of the the AF101 the Start/Stop button is just not in the right position. The grip is passive & designed to be easily removed so button cannot be put in the logical position under the thumb. The video start/stop button on the 5DII is better placed in comparison although that's not saying much:-).

I totally agree that on a tripod & in all other regards that I can think of the AF101 is a far better camera for shooting video.
Old February 5th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #19
Inner Circle

The AF-100 cameras have the boxy design that Panasonic has been employing for their sub $10,000 cameras for years. Not conducive to long bouts of hand-held shooting without an extra shoulder brace.
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
The AF-100 cameras have the boxy design that Panasonic has been employing for their sub $10,000 cameras for years. Not conducive to long bouts of hand-held shooting without an extra shoulder brace.
I have used an HMC-151 which is not dissimilar in size & shape to a Canon XH-A1. The AF101 feels much bigger & boxier.
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
no my man, just because camera man is running doesn't make shot R&G :)
when you say : Camera! Action! - is no ran&gun, it is well simulated, but still, it's narrative;
Except that wasn't. That's a documentary. Those were actual Taliban bullets whizzing by and actual dirt clods falling from an actual RPG (or whatever) explosion, which is difficult to stage. Even though I've never personally worked with a terrorist, my hunch is that they'd have unreasonable demands from catering services and be highly averse to constructive criticism or a second take.

Anyway, point was that for all the whining and moaning I used to do about how unusable DSLR's were in fluid shooting, learning about that guy's work kinda shut me up to concentrate on my skills more than my gear.
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Kevin, thanks for sticking with it and pointing out that the trailer you posted was live and run & gun.

I am sorry I did not pay more attention as I thought the clip was something else. You are correct, the use of the 5d in that environment is quite an accomplishment.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders