Night Vision TM900 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old April 5th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Night Vision TM900

Hello -

Does the TM900 have the equivalent capability as the Sony CX700 in the ability to shoot in total darkness with an infrared light?
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Night Vision TM900

Nope! Full TM900 feature set on this web site. It has a candlelight setting in iAuto which worked pretty well with my one of my daughters 8th birthday party scenes but it's not like the Night Shot that some of my Sony camcorders have (which I never use).

It does have a 'Colour Night Record' function which claims colour images in 1 lux but I've not tried that (yet). As soon as it's dark I'll have a go and let you know (can't imagine it would be that useful though!)

The latest crop of Canons seem to have the edge here with their Infra Red shooting capability, if you like your subjects looking like ghosts! (maybe useful for some animals in nature type applications).

http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/hd/900_800_series/

Actually, curiosity got the better of me so I shut the blinds in my office and tried it.

It seems to just give you a very slow shutter speed and wack the gain right up but it certainly seems to do what it claims, give you colour images in very low light....of course with some noise and blurring of any motion as you would expect. In this setting (which is accessible when in Manual) it then disables any other manual controls (WB, Gain, Shutter Speed) but still allows you to use the lens ring for Focus (only).

Hope this helps.
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Andrew,

What is the Infrared (IR) recording capability of the CX700? Do you have any manual control over aperture, shutter speed and gain?

I ask because it seems to be standard practice (when infrared mode is set) to automatically set the gain and aperture to full and to set the shutter speed to its slowest. This is to prevent use of the camera in daylight and is deemed necessary because some clothing materials transmit IR thus revealing more than the wearer intended.

However it means that the camera is very limited for IR work with animals etc..
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

As far as I know you have little to no control with the Sony CX700 in that mode (and not that great manual control in normal shooting modes either!), but I don't have a Sony CX700 so you had better search that forum area and ask over there - if it has not already been covered by those that have the Sony.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders