TM900 vs SDT750K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

TM900 vs SDT750K

G'day,

Here in Oz, the TM900 is not going to be sold by Panasonic AU. So, the only way to buy it is via the grey import market (at a considerably lower price than the SD900 they are selling, and with availability, as no one has any SD900s anyway).

Last year's SDT750K however has now dropped to $1500, maybe less with bargaining...

That is the Oz RRP for the SD900...

So... just how improved is the TM/SD900 model over the SDT750K?

A grey imported TM900, plus 3D lens (which I'm still debating) would cost $1260 delivered. So, if I could get the 750K for a similar price, with "genuine warranty", what would I be missing out on?

Cheers

Travis
Old July 16th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: TM900 vs SDT750K

Travis, do you have any solid information on why the TM900 is not going to be sold by panasonic.au? Is there perhaps reliable information that the TM900 is going to be superceded - it was after all launched many months ago, or is it simply that there is insufficient manufacturing capacity for the next few months?

Then consider what is the worst that could happen if the grey version failed. Its highly unlikely to fail. Do you have to return it via the retailer and therefore the turnaround time would be longer than dealing with panasonic.au direct. These cams are not expensive anyway so even a total write-off is not ruinous. Are there third party repairers in your area who could fix a faulty TM900 all be it not free of charge but at a reasonable price?

I have the TM900 and the TM700 (similar to the SD750). The 900 is a progression on the 700 but its not night and day. I'd be inclined to get the grey 900 just to have the very latest with its marginal improvements but it wouldn't bug me to buy the 750.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Peter,

Yes, I emailed PanaAU and they confirmed they are not releasing the TM900 over here. They are only selling the SD900.

Looking around, I've only found 2 retailers who stock the high end Panasonics... so I guess there's just not the market for them.

I guess really you're putting yourself behind the 8ball by buying obsolete stock...

The grey importer with the cheapest price has overall fairly good reviews, and they do carry out repairs. Also I'm happy to fight any retailer over goods that do fail prematurely, despite if that premature death is outside a standard warranty - but is supported under Australian Consumer Law. (Fought Apple over an 18month old eMac that died, and after some haranguing, got a free repair)

Guess my only problem now is the likelihood of a tax debt instead of a tax refund... :} Hopefully the funds for the camera will turn up somewhere.

cheers and thanks

Travis
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Here in the UK the SD900 is a much better deal than the TM900 simply because the price of 16 gb cards has dropped so much, so you shouldn't view the lack of TMs as a downer.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders