RODE VideoMic or RODE VideoMic Pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

RODE VideoMic or RODE VideoMic Pro?

At last; I ordered my HDC-HS900 today, and also a spare battery, (which is well overpriced)!

I am also looking to buy a Rode Videomic / Videomic Pro as I'm a bit concerned about the wind and fan noise being an issue - so I'm after opinions on the mic, is this overkill, I'm a hobbyist but always look to buy the best things I can, the VideoMic Pro looks better too :D

Any owners can give advice on the mic appreciated.

I have seen the pictures in the owners thread attached to the camcorder; it looks big but not sure :0/

Should have it by the week end, can't wait!

Last edited by Barry Sampson; July 20th, 2011 at 02:30 AM.
Barry Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: RODE VideoMic or RODE VideoMic Pro?

Hated my VideoMic

Go for the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/450170-REG/Rode_STEREO_VIDEOMIC_Stereo_VideoMic_Camera.html
and opt for the deadkitten for the wind noise
Dan McGuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi all from a first-timer!

Just got the TM900 - THRILLED! I like you am a hobbyist who likes to do the best job possible.

Initial impressions: The fan noise is not much of an issue at all (joy!), and the Rode videomic I had mounted on my previous cam (GS400) looks way out of proportion to this tiny little thing.

At the moment I am using the onboard mic, and it seems to be working very well. Wind noise may be an issue; I found just cupping a hand around the mic and shielding it from the wind works tolerably well.

If that's any help, great. Good luck on the trip!
Ron Windeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Ron,

Not sure I'll be getting the Videomic at the moment, I've only recorded a short amount of footage but no issues at the moment. Whilst I'm in Florida I might pick one up if it becomes an issue.

I'll report back as I get to use it more, currently using it in iA mode until I get used to its features :)

Regards

Barry
Barry Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Major Player

I dont think an external shotgun mic will make an enormous difference on the TM900. The inbuilt mic is very sensitive. Try setting it to manual, turn off AGC, and set the level to -3 or 6, the inbuilt mic is quite hot and will clip very easily.if not turned down. Experiment with the settings and see what suits you. For wind noise, your best bet is to buy a square of Rycote Windgag material, from Keenes, and cover the inbuilt mic with it, using double sided tape, very effective.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders