35mm adapter on HMC80? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old January 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

35mm adapter on HMC80?

Any real world experience using an adapter on an HMC80 or 40 or 150?

I'm thinking of getting a Letus for my HMC80, unless anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks!
Michael Anthony Hermogeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 35mm adapter on HMC80?

Hi Michael

The 80 is already a big form factor (which I love and I have two of them as well!!) but they are already a bit front heavy so trying to put a DOF adapter on the front will make it pretty tricky to use..I already have a rail under my lens that goes to a spring loaded rod and waistbelt to make it more balanced!!

It would probably be a LOT easier and even cheap to buy yourself a used GH2 camera and shoot with that..you can get plenty of fast lenses that will give you a shallow DOF and it would be a lot easier to manage too!!

Since DSLR's have done decent HD video, the demand for DOF adapters have almost disappeared...I would certainly look at the DSLR route first ...easier and better!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Michael

The 80 is already a big form factor (which I love and I have two of them as well!!) but they are already a bit front heavy so trying to put a DOF adapter on the front will make it pretty tricky to use..I already have a rail under my lens that goes to a spring loaded rod and waistbelt to make it more balanced!!

It would probably be a LOT easier and even cheap to buy yourself a used GH2 camera and shoot with that..you can get plenty of fast lenses that will give you a shallow DOF and it would be a lot easier to manage too!!

Since DSLR's have done decent HD video, the demand for DOF adapters have almost disappeared...I would certainly look at the DSLR route first ...easier and better!!!

Chris
^^ This.
When the Canon 5D came out, the writing was on the wall for DoF adapters. Definitely go the DSLR route if you feel you need better DoF.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks guys!

i hear ya on the 5D... i already shoot with the 5Dmkii for my photography business, but i didn't feel like having to break down the DSLR video rig when i need to do shoots... since photography is the bulk of my business, i went and got the 80 for the video stuff...

shopping around, it just seemed cheaper to add on a 35mm adapter to the 80 than the gear i would need to build up the 5D, ya know?
Michael Anthony Hermogeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hey Michael

Consider getting a Panasonic GH1 or GH2 and then find a nice fast lens to go with it ...somewhat less money than a 5D that's for sure and the footage will match very nicely too!! The GH series don't have the 12 minute video record maximum either but you would still need to use manual focus. There are some pretty hot vintage lenses on ebay that will do a great job with a GH1 and adapters are easy to find for most lenses too...just be aware that the GH has a 2X crop factor so an older 50mm lens actually becomes 100mm!!! You could probably get a really great setup under $1K!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders