Limited space, shallow DOF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Limited space, shallow DOF

I'm shooting a series of short lectures, delivered by a single person seated in her office (speaking directly to the camera), with bookcases in the background. I'd like to achieve a shallow enough DOF so that the bookcases have at least a gentle blur. Unfortunately, the office is quite small with max distance from subject to bookcases about 3 feet and distance from camera to subject about 4 feet. And I need a fairly medium shot of the subject (mid-waist to top of head). Would this be achievable with an AF100 and perhaps the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 lens?

Other specs:
Resolution: 1080/30p
Lighting: ample controlled lighting (5.6K fluorescent)
Audio: boom stand with mic

I can record audio to external recorder (Roland R44), so I suppose a digital SLR might be an alternative to the AF100.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
Rob Brookler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Limited space, shallow DOF

Rob - the

should be fine, especially wide open. Here is an interview in a similar setting using a http://www.adorama.com/ZICP35FNK.html:

Good luck - and please let us know how the lectures turn out.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #3
New Boot

Bill, thanks very much!

I just noticed the Panny LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Pancake Lens ... at about $900 less than the Nokton. Do you think this lens might be adequate for this job?

Thanks, Rob
Rob Brookler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Can you shoot from outside the door with a longer lens? For shallow DOF, you'll want the subject 1/3 distance from the lens (and 2/3 the distance from the background). There are also 'cheats' of hanging a large sheet of frost diffusion behind the subject. If you don't see reflections or creases, then it looks like a softened out-of-focus background. Another option is to go dramatic with lighting and put pin spot glancing across the books, but letting the rest of the background go dark. You'll need a grid on a softbox for your main lighting, otherwise, you'll be battling spill.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Rob, I've used the 20/1.7 and Voigtlander 17.5 (as well as others) to do interviews in some very very small offices... often just from desk width distance, getting a medium.

25mm (like the PanaLeica 25/1.4) can work, but from a little farther away.
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #6
New Boot

Oren and Kevin, thanks! The door is mid-wall and opens out to a very narrow hall, so not much help here. But I can "reposition" subject and camera to get a bit closer to this 1/3 - 2/3 ratio. I had just ordered a grid for my softbox key, as the walls and ceilings are bright white so I'm getting all kinds of spill. I'll probably try the 20/1.7, based on all your input. If this doesn't do the job, I'll try something more "creative" with the background.

Thank you all very much! Rob B.
Rob Brookler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders