I want to shoot something & I know I'll slow it down in post. should I shoot 60fps? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old November 20th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I want to shoot something & I know I'll slow it down in post. should I shoot 60fps?

I am going to shoot something and I know I'll want to slow it down in post. Everything else is 24 fps. Should I shoot in 60 fps for the piece I want to slow down? It seems that way I could change the footage to 24fps and it won't look weird the way it would if I shot in 24fps and changed the the speed of that footage.
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: I want to shoot something & I know I'll slow it down in post. should I shoot 60fp

As I read your question, yes.

Your final production is in 24p and you are shooting mostly in 24p, but you want particular shots to play in slow motion. By shooting those in 60p, they will playback (on a 24p timeline) at 40% of the original speed without any jerky motion. So 1 second of real time will take 2.5 seconds to play back.
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: I want to shoot something & I know I'll slow it down in post. should I shoot 60fp

I do this all the time with my EX1R. It's a great technique when forced to pan handheld.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4
New Boot

It will look better if you shoot 60p. How slow are you going to go?
Super slow takes a bit of thought when setting up, something I am just learning...
The more plain the background the less you will see the effects of the optical flow (FCPX).
Steve Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've shot everything so far in 1080 24p. The HMC 150 lets me shoot 1080 60i or 720 60p. Which one would be better for matching what i have so far?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #6
New Boot

If your main goal is slo-mo then yes, you should shoot at the highest frame rate possible. If that is 720 60p then do it. A scaled up 720 image in a 1080 timeline is almost indistinguishable from the 1080 content, especially when the final output is for television. All broadcasters broadcast in 720 60p except for CBS which braodcasts in 1080 60i. Cable... who knows, it depends on the network. don't sweat it.
Scott Hutchcroft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders