I noticed a speck on the lens inside my HMC150! what can i do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I noticed a speck on the lens inside my HMC150! what can i do?

Today while cleaning my lens, it became clear that there is a speck inside the camera on the lens. I have no idea how it got there. It's a nice small white speck. And it's driving me nuts. Is there anything I can do? Is it easy to open the camera to clean it? Will my warranty cover it?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: I noticed a speck on the lens inside my HMC150! what can i do?

I can't really offer you input except to say I had the same problem with
an XH A1 a while back. The research I did suggested it was mold. No
idea how that happened. At the point where I was about to send it in to Canon, it
disappeared never to be seen again. Of course I was worried it might
suddenly show up again at an inopportune moment but well over a year later, so far
so good.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

On the assumption that it might be mold, try leaving the lens on a window ledge aimed at the warm sun for a few hours.

A retired National Geographic photographer once told me, all camera lens should see daylight for a day, at least once a month.

Cheers.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
On the assumption that it might be mold, try leaving the lens on a window ledge aimed at the warm sun for a few hours.

A retired National Geographic photographer once told me, all camera lens should see daylight for a day, at least once a month.

Cheers.
Since the lens is not removable and there is no mechanical shutter to protect the sensor, I would not point a camcorder at the sun. Even with the ND engaged, the iris fully closed and the camera powered off I would be concerned that damage might still occur. Do you see the spec in the videos, or only in the lens?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I see it when there is lots of sun. I'm shooting outdoors so there frequently is sun. It's beyond maddening since i need to reposition to get rid of it. Grr....
Noam Osband is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders