AG-HMC150P Camcorder in Freezing Cold at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old December 10th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AG-HMC150P Camcorder in Freezing Cold

In a few days, we plan to take a family vacation to Washington State where the temperature will be dipping in to the low 30's. I'm bringing my Panasonic AG-HMC 150P digital camcorder to take videos of our two grandsons as we tour the State.

Will I have any problem with my camcorder in freezing temperature?
Melvin Partido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: AG-HMC150P Camcorder in Freezing Cold

I just did a 2-hour job today using an HMC150 in 25° and falling snow with no problems whatsoever.

Frankly I worry a lot less about card based cameras than tape based ones, as there are fewer mechanical parts to freeze or become sluggish. Of course, precipitation can be an issue regardless of temperature, so be sure to keep your camera protected in adverse conditions.
Mark L. Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

should there also be concerns about condensation -- going between a warm, moist home and the outside where it's much colder and the moisture in the air can condense on the lens or inside the camera)?

should there be concerns about "thermal shock", again going between warm and cold temperatures?
Roberto Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Trustee

Had problems with batteries on a project at 10F. Solved by using "heat packs" attached to battery.

Something like this Amazon.com: Porta Brace Polar Heat Pack, Disposable Chemical Hand & Equipment Warmer, two pack: Camera & Photo
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Diaz View Post
should there also be concerns about condensation -- going between a warm, moist home and the outside where it's much colder and the moisture in the air can condense on the lens or inside the camera)?

should there be concerns about "thermal shock", again going between warm and cold temperatures?
I typically keep the camera in a bag with the lens cap on when going between indoors and outdoors. Let the camera inside the closed camera bag sit in the cold for a bit before use; vice versa for bringing it indoors. Mark Williams brings up a good point about batteries, too: use a heat pack is a great idea - or keep a spare battery in a pocket close to your body and alternate from time to time.
Mark L. Whalen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders