AF100 still working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old December 27th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

AF100 still working

Barely any postings in here through 2013 seems... wrong, somehow.

After 2 years of ownership and carefully weighing the alternatives through job-related usage and rentals, I'm sticking with my AF100 through next year (barring any contrary contractual necessity, major financial windfalls, or revolutionary product debuts). Especially paired with a Nikon SpeedBooster and my ultracheap/utracompact side-mounted tally-handle and quick-change shoulder mount, it's simply been a treat to use and churned out a steady stream of client-pleasing footage throughout the year.
Old December 28th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: AF100 still working

Hey Kevin..
Just bought the Barry Green book..

Do you have any pics of your setup?

On a side note, I noticed the Lumix 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 seem to cover pretty much anything you throw at it..
I'm still debating whether to buy the AF100 with these two lenses for next years' weddings...
It's a huge leap for me to jump from an XHA1 to an AF100..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Do you have any pics of your setup?

On a side note, I noticed the Lumix 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 seem to cover pretty much anything you throw at it..
I'm still debating whether to buy the AF100 with these two lenses for next years' weddings...
It's a huge leap for me to jump from an XHA1 to an AF100..
Sure... here's the well-used ol' thing

General rundown of what's there... short 1/8" aluminum bar with 4 holes drilled in it, bolted to body on one side and Cinevate rail block on the other. Shoulder plate is a CPM part. Handle is a Berkey Systems part, modified with a tally switch - can either mount to a rail or directly to that rail block spud. Yeah, handle and shoulder support only attach via a single rod... the AF is light enough that it's never been a problem. Usually I leave off the shoulder support unless I know I'll be shoulder-shooting for extended times. Side-mounted cold shoe extender is perfect for wireless receivers or NanoFlash unit. For monitoring, I put a hood or loupe on the stock LCD and call it good (it's at least as good as most 3rd party EVF's I've tried, and cheaper). Mic mount was replaced by a JROD "twin mount" to keep profile low. Shoulder support can be mounted to the other side and positioned slightly back to shoot using the camera's stock EVF, or moved to the rail block bottom hole to raise the camera (though I rarely do either). Everything adjusts easily on the fly, handle can move forward, back, or rotate to get to just the right position, and it all slips easily into a standard prosumer-sized video camera bag or backpack.

Usual 2-lens kit is a Leica D 14-50/2.8-3.5 and a Sigma 50-150/2.8, which I chose for the greater working range vs. the 12-35/35-100 combo. I have a mess of Nikon mount zooms and primes and the SpeedBooster adapter for more relaxed working scenarios. I have the 12-35, but didn't like it as much on the AF100 - it lives on my GH2 instead.
Attached Thumbnails
AF100 still working-af100-support.jpg  
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Austinite

Long live the AF100! I shot on it for a GALA video for a local university end of the summer. I could have shot on anything, but I chose the AF100...

Three Point Production
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders