AF100 - what is the hot shoe size? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old January 18th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AF100 - what is the hot shoe size?

Is the hot shoe on top of the AF100 a 1/4"-20 Thread Socket?

Asking as I'm trying to install a external monitor on it and the adaptor keeps slipping out of the thread socket. Thanks.
Jeff Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: AF100 - what is the hot shoe size?

Do you mean with or without the top handle attached?

The handle has two 1/4"-20 holes surrounding a central 3/8"-16 hole. The 3/8" is drilled all the way through the handle and won't restrict the length of bolts you can attach there.

By loosening two captive screws and sliding it forward, you can remove the top handle to reveal another cold shoe. The hole just behind this shoe that was used to secure the handle is also threaded 1/4"-20 but is rather shallow. You probably won't be able to tighten down anything there that protrudes more than 1/4" or so into the hole.

In playing with it just now, I was able to secure a Noga arm in all three of these 1/4" mounting points with no problems.
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Greg for the response. I should have been more specific.

The handle on top on the camera (on the very front of the handle). Attached are some pics of the piece on the handle and the adapter I'm trying to slide in with the square bottom that is suppose to fit in it (adapter will have the monitor mounted on top of it). When I slide the adaptor into the space as seen in the photo. It's very loose even after tightening.

When I gave the company a video of the loose monitor sliding out of it easily- they asked "I wondering if the hot shoe is not a 1/4"-20 Thread Socket."

Worst case for me is if it doesn't work out, then I use my monitor extension arm full time on the camera. But I may have a need for a top mounted monitor which is what I was trying to do here.
Attached Thumbnails
AF100 - what is the hot shoe size?-1.jpg   AF100 - what is the hot shoe size?-2.jpg  

Jeff Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh, I think I get it now, but I don't know the answer to the original question. There's no such thing as a "1/4-20 hot shoe"; it's a type of mount all to itself that was originally designed many years ago for attaching flashguns to still cameras. The dimensions are at least informally standardized, and the AF100 shoes have worked with every piece of hardware I have that is supposed to fit in them. In fact, the AF100 mounts are not "hot" shoes at all because they don't have the contacts in them for activating an on-camera flash. So the original question from that support person was kind of nonsensical.

If I wanted to put an external viewfinder on my AF100 (and I do, from time to time), I'd use a cine arm (mine's a 7" Noga) screwed into one of the 1/4" sockets on the top of the handle, not the "cold" shoe, which doesn't seem as sturdy. This isn't the lightest possible arrangement, but it's very strong and flexible, and I don't hand-hold the AF100 that much anyway.

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders