MX500 - Streaming and recording question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 28th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #1
New Boot

MX500 - Streaming and recording question

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a NVMX500B, but I need to be able to record to tape AND stream to a PC at the same time.

I have read the manual and it says this isn't possible using the webcam mode, but doesn't say generally if it is possible.

Does anyone have any experience of whether this works? Panasonic DV phone support didn't know!

Thanks in advance,

Pete
Pete Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #2
New Boot

maybe you need an IEEE1394 card?
Ken Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi,

I have a 1394 card, but will this act as a valid streaming source on the PC if I am recording footage at the same time onto DV?

The reason I need this is that I want to film some meetings, and record them onto DV tape. However, I also want to stream the meeting as a web-cast over the Internet at the same time.

Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #4
New Boot

oh

you can get the valid streaming source on the PC ( for example with premiere 6.5) the same time you are recording footage to the tape, you might be able to save it to PC the same time as well, but the source you could get could be no compressed AVI file (maybe also mpeg1 or 2), I am not so sure the internet is fast enough to upload such huge file(s) at the same time, :) maybe someone knows a way to do it.

maybe possible to save the meeting to the card while you use net-meeting? but the largest size in web-cam mode would be only 320*240 mpeg4.
Ken Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks, Ken.

I tried this a few weeks back with a cheap Sony Handicam. This let me have it plugged into the PC via USB, and also record to tape at the same time.

I want to use Windows Media Encoder to dynamically create a streamed broadcast from this video source. The IEEE1394 sounds like the answer on the Panasonic, but only if:

a) It can be set to output video data at the same time it is being recorded to tape

and

b) The 1394 device shows up as a proper video source in Windows XP, just like a webcam would.

It is really bugging me that this is the only thing stopping me from buying what looks like a great camera!!

Many thanks.
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #6
Major Player

works on iMovie on the Mac, which captures on-the-go. I have not tried the PC yet, but if the capture software needs to have a play-record, then most likely not.
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:22 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi,

Just to clarify: You can plug your MX500 into your Mac using firewire, and record footage to both your Mac and to DV tape at the same time?
Old June 3rd, 2003, 03:31 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi,

In response to myself(!), I finally heard back from Panasonic Tech Support on this issue:

With regards to streaming video via the internet, some applications will allow you to stream via Firewire and record through the lens at the same time. The hardware will always allow you to do this, therefore it should be a simple case of finding software which can send video from the camcorders DV terminal to your contact via the internet, although Panasonic do not make this type of software.

Looks like it should be possible (just in case anyone else runs into the same question later)

Thanks.
Pete Sykes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant