Panasonic MX300 help needed! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 29th, 2003, 06:47 AM   #1
Tourist

Panasonic MX300 help needed!

I just bought a second hand Panasonic MX300. Most functions are pretty obvious but one thing I haven't been able to figure out is: How do I record to tape?
There is no recording button on the camera itself nor the remote and I have not found out if there is button combination I can use. Can anyone please help me with this?
Even better can someone point me to (or even send me) a manual for the camera?
Any help greatly appreciated.

SJ
Siggi Jons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Go to:

http://www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm

There you will find a link to Terrence's MX page. Go to the bottom and you'll see an upload link for the MX300 manual (and a MX350 manual). If that doesn't work, e-mail Stuart at:

stuartc@panasonic.com.au

and ask him to send you the MX300 PDF manual (attached to an e-mail).

The record button is on the upper, right side of the back of the cam. The color of the button is silver, and has a few small groves on it.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I think Siggi means recording using the MX300 as a Mini DV deck Frank. The reason he can't get the machine into record is that you can only do it with the remote control. How stupid can Panasonic get, huh?

Let's listen in on the design brief meeting in May 2000. OK chaps, our next three chipper will have bottom loading - much better than the top loading of the previous model, the 110.

And let's make the headphone socket toggle between the A/V out, just to confuse. Then we'll leave off the record button so people will have to buy another remote. And we'll leave the ND filter in place most of the time. Oh, and lets have a side screen half the area of Sony's TRV900. Splendid idea!

We'll have a lens hood that is near useless with a UV in place and we'll paint it bright silver like a Christmas tree ornament. Then we'll make it get almost too hot to touch and place a warning sticker inside the screen aperture.

Ah, but we'll fit it with an outstanding lens and people will buy it. And I did.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Ha, ha! Good one, Tom. It was the meister's soap box stand preaching that convinced me, along with some words of wisdom from Terrence. So, I bought not 1, but 2! Anyway, I find it a fine cam, for shooting for fine deep shadows and dork blacks. But I'd rather have a MX5000 today, than spend a year's salary on something that'll be obsolete tomorrow. (Yes, I'd rather have the MX5 over the MX3.)
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:09 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks for the responses gentlemen.
The mystery has been solved but the problem still exists. Turns out the guy who sold me the camera inadvertently gave me the remote for an older Panasonic he had. Fortunately I got in touch with him to ask how he had recorded to tape and when he started talking about a recording button on the remote the mistake was discovered.
Now, the disappointing bit is that he has turned his apartment upside down but hasn't been able to find the correct remote. He hasn't given up hope of finding it but in case he doesn't, my question is:
Where can I buy (beg, borrow, steal) a new or used remote? Can't bear the thought of having a crippled camera just because the remote is missing.
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:29 AM   #6
Outer Circle

You can order one from here:

http://www.cameraaction.com.au

Or you can even get the USA/CAN remote for the PV-DV950 or AG-EX30U. These will work, but I'm not sure if all the buttons/functions are there.

Here's a very good USA dealer:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The cheapest way is to buy one of these little "learning" remotes Siggi. I got one and I've been able to back-up my Panasonic remote in case I loose it. If you get one of these you'll have to talk nicely to a Panasonic salesman and sit down for 10 minutes with the two remotes facing one-another. Failing that you need to find someone who'll lend you their remote for an hour or so.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 06:26 PM   #8
Tourist

I've got my remote! The guy finally found it and I am now now happily recording to tape. I will however, definitely try to get hold of a spare remote, just in case.
Many thanks to you all for your fast and excellent answers.
Old June 1st, 2003, 06:36 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Well, you lucky guy! And you didn't even have to spend a penny! Take care.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant