New owner of a Panasonic PV-DV852 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 10th, 2003, 03:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New owner of a Panasonic PV-DV852

After doing some careful research on these forums, I've decided to get the DV852. It was $599 new at the Fry's here in Arlington.

I bought a Tiffen UV filter and a Panasonic 80 min sp tape (Fuji didn't have anything higher than 60minsp at the store). Right now I'm looking for a wide lens (.7 or wider) and maybe some filters to help with movie making. I plan on building a camera stabilizer as well.

I just saw The Shining again today (Best Buy has Kubrick films 10 bucks each if you buy 2) and was impressed at the colors. This made me depressed to realize I can't do anything near that with a 1 CCD camera. Then I looked at the price tag and was happy again.

Also, I heard YowCH talking about Panasonic doing an extended warranty thing anytime during the initial warranty period. How do I access this? Also, what's a good place to find a wide lens for this camera (besides ebay hehe)?

Cool forum btw, thanks.
Gerald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 03:56 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Congratulations, on your great new cam, Gerald. At $599, that's almost a steal!

In the .7, 43mm thread size, you have 2 choices: Tiffen and Panasonic. For a wider one, look at the new Raynox with the step-up rings. I've heard good things about it---actually, all 3 of these adaptors are good.

I don't know about extended warranties in the US. Perhaps call your Pana rep? Should be in the phone book.

Welcome to dvinfo.net!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Blessed is he who can find a discontinued model which is very good and at a wonderful price.

I believe that extended warranty may not be available in teh states, but your insurance agent may be able to work out a scheme of $10 a month for you to cover for a few years.

My set-up for the wide angle lens is this:
Camera -- step-up 43 to 52 -- step-up 52 to 55 -- 55 ring* -- Fujifilm 0.79x for the S602 still camera.

* The 55 ring is actually a filter with the glass knocked off. This is necessary as the Fuji WA has a protrusion behind that will interfere with the step-up adaptor.

Actually, the MX8 (DV852) is already having one of the best wide angle (about 35mm widest) for MiniDV cams, comparing even to expensive 3CCD cams. Most consumer cams are at about 45mm WA (yucks). 0.79 x 35mm = 28mm, good enough for most applications. You might have a little vignetting, though.

Do not forget that the MX8 produces pretty decent 1.0MP stills.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Oh, why the need for 80min tape? I believe the tapes are thinner and more prone to sticking or breakage.

I use Sony tapes, the cheap ones. They seem to have less wear and tear on the playhead. With Panasonic tapes, I clean once every 2 weeks. With Sony, once every 3 months?!?!
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

After looking around it seems Panny 80 min tapes will blow up my camera or something. I just don't like having to change tapes so I decided to get the 80 minute. Also the cool looking silver/blue packing sold me. I used to think as long as I got a name brand tape I was fine, but I guess not hehe.
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Alright, I just got a firewire cable, 6 Fuji 60 min dv tapes, and a panasonic head cleaner. I need a camera bag, wide angle lens, filters, editing software, insurance, and a coke. The accesories are going to cost as much as the camera itself!

Oh well, it'll be worth it when I start making cool shorts and stuff.
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Look at the Lowepro Nova 3 or 4 for a bag---5, if you really want to stuff 'er.

Filters? A UV for sure. For sunny days, a strong skylight or polarizer.

Wide angle? You know the 3 all ready mentioned.

Software? Vegas seems to be a favourite among many people on this board: good bang for the buck.

A Coke? Yeah, I drink that poison too. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 03:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The Shining, huh? This film is a shining example of how Krubrick wouldn't tolerate any nasty barrel distortion in his movies. Look at the Steadycam tracking shots as Danny rides his little pedal car around the deserted corridors of the Overlook Hotel. Frightening stuff, hey?

If you're after that sort of look then the Raynox 6600 Pro has to be the 0.6x to go for. All other lenses distort straight lines a lot more than this one.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant