DV852 quickie question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 27th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #1
Major Player

DV852 quickie question

Hey guys. Well I've been enjoying my 852 since I bought in January (thanks Frank for the great recomendation!). I was wondering though, can you have the EIS image stabilization turned on when you're in manual mode? When I press the EIS button in manual mode, the only two options that show up on screen are "MNL" and "MNL EIS" and I can't tell any stablility differences between the two. The operating manual seems to avoid this situation all together :D. I haven't shot too many situations off a tripod that were moving but recently I've run into these predicaments and haven't been able to figure out how to set up the OIS with everything else set on manual. Anyways, I've got a suspense short coming up that we purchased a Glidecam 2000 for and I want to make sure that I can have the best stabilization smoothness possible before we mount up with the Glidecam, so we can get the most professional looking smooth shots out of my setup ;) .... Thanks!
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Hi Bryan. I'll e-mail Tom H. and ask him to answer your questions, since he owned this cam. Also, the other fellow from Asia will most likely chime in as well.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Excellent, thanks alot Frank!
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #4
Wrangler

Isn't it odd that optical image stabilization is represented by EIS instead of OIS. If I remember correctly my Japanese version actually listed OIS on the on-screen menu (NV-MX1000).

Well I don't have my MX1000/DV852 anymore but I do remember using full manual mode and OIS with no problems. I even tried it on my new PV-DV953 and its also functioning.

The best way to test this is to hand hold the cam and zoom in on something across the room. I used the wooden border trim in my kitchen where I can distinctly see the wall above and below it. I also used an optical zoom of 7x. Then toggle the stabilizatoin button while in manual mode. Without OIS I saw a bouncing strip of wood at 7x zoom and with OIS I saw a smooth stationary image. Of course some shake more than others since were not all BaGwaChang masters like Frank. :)

BTW - make sure not to be in Card mode for verification as the MEGA OIS I believe was only used for stills.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant