Anyone have online footage of GS100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 11th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone have online footage of GS100?

16x9 and 30fps mode, that's really the reason to buy this camera....anybody shooting anything yet? Love to see it!

Michael
Michael Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #2
Major Player

I have first-time amateur footage which I've said I believe won't do the camera justice. It's family stuff, so I wouldn't put it online, anyway, I guess. But I will report the following. I had downloaded the tape contents into iMovie and viewed it on my Mac (15" G4 Powerbook). This is mostly indoor stuff, in a well-lit room, but with the usual darker spots in the room. I could see haloing, if that's the right term, around faces, some of what I guess you call grain, some overexposure, etc. There was also a shot taken after dark of a young cousin wearing a black tea shirt and standing near a small tree illuminated by plant lighting. I used night view mode, but it looked unuseable on my Mac. (I could barely see him myself when I was shooting.) Before deciding to cut what looked like the worst stuff, however, I decided to see how the whole tape played on our HDTV. Camera user errors aside, pretty amazing stuff. Substantial difference in illumination of the subject when using night view - the young cousin who was merely a voice in the dark on the Mac became a distinguishable face on the television screen. The scene was still very dark, but he was distinguishable. All of this was in pure auto mode. The other scenes, except for my moving the camera too much and/or not focusing exactly right, looked pretty smooth, with many of the flaws which showed up on the Mac downplayed or not evident. Even my mother, with failing eyesight, said how clear the picture was. (That may not sound like a testimonial, but it is, really.) I did not use skin tone mode for any of the closer up shots and probably should have, and I think possibly some would find the overall tone somewhat rosy, but since I didn't control for the kind of lighting in the room or any other factors except low light while in auto mode, I know I haven't even started to tap into what this camcorder is capable of. My conclusion is that putting footage online won't necessarily do the camera justice, either. You have to see for yourself on a wide screen television what it ultimately produces (on not the best of tape, either, by the way, because I noticed a couple of flaws that could only have been the tape).
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant