Gs100 - Pal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 13th, 2003, 10:23 PM   #1
Outer Circle

Gs100 - Pal

I was told that there will be no GS100 PAL cams 'til after December 31, 2003, if at all.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 12:08 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Panasonic Japan Update:

The NV-GS100K is only for the Japan Domestic market. Therefore, operating instruction are in Japanese only.
Old July 14th, 2003, 01:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Does this relate to the "K" (black) version only?
I believe some other cameras have Japan-only versions made in black, while their export versions are silver.
Vladimir Koifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 03:31 AM   #4
Outer Circle

According to Panasonic, both the silver and black models are for Japan only---there are no plans to make a PAL version in 2003. Whether we'll see this cam outside of Japan in 2004---Pana doesn't know. That's all I know so far. The bottom line: to get this cam you have to settle with NTSC and Japanese (no other languages).
Old July 14th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #5
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : According to Panasonic, both the silver and black models are for Japan only---there are no plans to make a PAL version in 2003. Whether we'll see this cam outside of Japan in 2004---Pana doesn't know. That's all I know so far. The bottom line: to get this cam you have to settle with NTSC and Japanese (no other languages). -->>>

AAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knowing pana thou, they will most prolly bring it out...
they usualyl release stuff every 14 months or so, and the DVX only came out here in feb (about 12 months after the NTSC version...
then before that the MX in October, abotu another 8 months after the NTSC model...

i guess i can hope.. i'll jsut spam them with petitions... :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #6
Tourist

Guy with a Broken Heart

Oh Frank....

You have broken my heart... I live in Bangkok, Thailand and was waiting for this cam to be released in PAL... So now I've got this shocking heart breaking news... Now I have to look for alternatives... If any one can please explain what will be the problems I would face using the CAM if i get a NTSC one. I dont have much idea about the PAL and NTSC systems. Just explain what will be the problems I would face.... practically...

Anand
Anand Thiyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

actually there really isnt an issue, as conversion is quie easy with the editors avcailable today...

if worse comes to worse, ill end up gettin an NTSC model...

dunno bout the battery thou.. i dont like how theyve changed it...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #8
Outer Circle

Anand Thiyag,

PAL is a different broadcast system based on 220 volts/50 cycle, 50 fields per second, higher resolution and better color. The only exception is Brazil. Their PAL system works like NTSC so they use NTSC cams. NTSC is based on a different electrical system: 110 volts/60 cycle, 60 fields per second and "Never The Same Colour." (NTSC)
Old July 15th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Anand, DON'T buy NTSC if you use you camera in Thailand more than 90% of the time. Stick to PAL. There are better cameras out there, maybe save up for an XM2 or even a DVX100. You will NOT be able to mix NTSC footage with your friends shooting in PAL and if your TV is not multi-system you will not be able to watch NTSC videos! And conversion from NTSC to PAL is not easy, and losses is very much due to the need to change the resolution (number of pixels in each frame) and the frame speed. You can do a web search on the complete differences between NTSC and PAL for MiniDV and other video formats, and most if not all, will tell you to stick to your national standard.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #10
Tourist

Any news about GS100K(PAL) in Singapore

Hi Yowch,

After hearing all the valuable comments from the users I feel I should not be going in for a NTSC model because, even though i have a multi systm TV... i cannot constrain myself only to view the Footage on my TV alone... this defeats the basic need of the CAM. But what will I be loosing if i am to Go for a MX500 instead of GS100K ??? and what is the cheaest price of the MX500 in singapore now after the new models have been introduced (GS50, GS70) ? and which place is the best to buy MX500 in singapore? But some say it is cheaper to buy in malaysia than buying in singapore ... is that true ??? You are the best person to answer this question... since you have been in both places.

Anand
Anand Thiyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 01:27 AM   #11
Major Player

Well Anand, I spent 18 years in Malaysia and 11 years in Singapore, and I'm 29...

The price difference in Malaysia and Singapore is not significant, you can probably afford a US$50 difference, just buy it where comfortable. Unfortunately, there is no point telling you where to get the camera, as the merchants will only give very good prices to regulars. So, if you are coming to Singapore, let me know in advance and I'll try to arrange to go to the shops with you. If you are going to Malaysia, I can recommend some friends to help with your shopping.

I am pretty sure that in many ways, the 100 will be better than the 500. However, if it is not PAL, then any argument will be void in PAL land, right?

As for the MX500, about Singapore $2000++ now, about Thai B50,000.
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant