GS100K Progressive shots... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 23rd, 2003, 12:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GS100K Progressive shots...

Hi there...

With a lot of help from Eng Yew who provided the space for this shots... Here they are:

http://nv-gs100k.home.comcast.net/Ma...0K_Samples.zip

Eng Yew also said this:
"The clips look excellent! Almost broadcast quality.
When playing the car frame by frame there is no
interlacing. You should mention that your files are
raw DV with no post-processing."

Here are my comments:
it was recorded at 21:22 local time(+1 GMT), so kind of late in the evening.
white balance: preset outdoor
1/100
+8db
OIS: on
record mode: frame(progressive for video)
digital zoom: off
cinema mode: off

So, please someone give some feedback.
Marius Burz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Marius, I hope some others with better qualifications to judge will look at your clip. Took me awhile to download (yes, I'm still on dial up), but worth the wait. Very sharp and clean. I think you probably still have a little more light in Europe at this time of year at 21:00 than we do where I am, if I recall correctly, but nonetheless, it's a bit hard to believe this was taken that late in the evening. Have you tried playback of your (unedited) tape on a TV yet? That is where I find myself most amazed by what the GS100 is capable of.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:40 PM   #3
High School Student

They looked good. I noticed that the sky was blown out, but it was shot at dawn, right?

You should of however lowered the shutter speed to 1/60 or maybe even 1/30 (if you can on that camera?) so you could of not had to go upto +8dB gain. I couldn't notice any noise from it though.

That footage cleaned up nicely in Vegas, though. :D

http://www.l33test.com/upload/Image509.jpg
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 02:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Patricia, yes I tried it on TV and it looks awesome!
Abou the light, I don't know what to say, depends on your coordinates. Mine are longitude(east) 8° 24' and latitude(north) 49° 00' 30''; And abou the shooting time, I know it exactly since it was recorded on the tape ;)

Alex, it wasn't dawn at all, it was sunset(21:22 is 9:22PM). But that's about the same for shootings. 1/30 is something I can't do because the cam doesn't know it and 1/60 would have been a bit too much for the car or so I think. And about Vegas job, maybe it looks a bit better, but it kills all of the evening/sunset feeling, and it blows all the colours. What I could tell you is that what the eye saw back at the time of the shooting was much closer to what the cam shot than to the rendering Vegas produced.

ciao,
marius
Old July 26th, 2003, 01:33 AM   #5
Major Player

how to extract dv

Marius,
did you use the japanese software to extract form the camcorder or what software do u use for creating avi files?

I have the japanese cd, but its not installing on my pc. and its all in japanese.

can anybody suggest what software to use for downloading DV and SD card's data from camcorder?

thanks,
sam
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 04:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Re: how to extract dv

<<<-- Originally posted by Samuel Raj : Marius,
did you use the japanese software to extract form the camcorder or what software do u use for creating avi files?
I have the japanese cd, but its not installing on my pc. and its all in japanese.
can anybody suggest what software to use for downloading DV and SD card's data from camcorder?
-->>>

Hi Sam,

No I don't use the jap software. I use the english version of SD Viewer which I downloaded from Panasonic Australia website(http://www.panasonic.com.au/catalogue/list.cfm?cat=2_1).
For DV capture, a friend helps me out. He uses Vegas and has a nice DV capture card(don't know exactly which one).

ciao,
marius
Old July 27th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Marius,

I will get a firewire pci card from best buy or costco, and use some software to download.

sd viewer is good!
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 06:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : They looked good. I noticed that the sky was blown out, but it was shot at dawn, right?

You should of however lowered the shutter speed to 1/60 or maybe even 1/30 (if you can on that camera?) so you could of not had to go upto +8dB gain. I couldn't notice any noise from it though.

That footage cleaned up nicely in Vegas, though. :D

http://www.l33test.com/upload/Image509.jpg -->>>
Hi Alex,

I cannot view your uploaded photo. Is the URL correct?

Thanks!
Old July 28th, 2003, 02:19 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Tony, it worked when he posted it. Looks like it's gone now.
Old August 6th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #10
Regular Crew

^
Old August 6th, 2003, 11:57 PM   #11
Tourist

Hi Marius,

Thanks for sharing!! Hope you can contribute more video samples for us. It would be great help for us to decide whether to buy this toy or not.
Way Keong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant