MX5000 LCD Translations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 23rd, 2003, 04:44 PM   #1
New Boot

MX5000 LCD Translations

Ok, seeing all this support for the GS100 has made me jealous. I am pretty adept at working through the menus for my MX5000 thanks to the "English" translation of the manual, but I cannot figure out all the little characters, etc., that pop up on the LCD as you use the camcorder. Can anyone help me get some form of a cheat sheet for this? THANKS.
Kevin Minatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 06:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you checked out the MX5000 yahoo group? There are some files posted that include translations, etc. Can't guarantee what you want is in them, but it may be a place to start. Also, I think supervideo claims to sell a manual of some sort in English. Don't know the price.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 06:13 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks, Patricia. I have been there and downloaded the English manual. What I have yet to find are translations for the messages that pop up on the LCD screen. Is there anyone who can translate this for me or has already translated it already? Thanks.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:01 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Perhaps if you ask Allan. He can translate it.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:03 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks, Frank

Who is Allan? How can I contact him?
Old July 23rd, 2003, 11:18 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Allan lives in Japan, and he is an active member on these forums. He also can sell you anything from Japan, like a brand new black mamba---er, GS100.
Old July 24th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Another possibility is to contact Masaki-san (who is a member here and of the yahoo MX5000 group) via e-mail. He has done some of the translations for the GS100 of which you are so envious, but he actually owns an MX5000. If you live in the LA area, by chance, he would probably offer to meet with you (forgive me, Masaki-san, for my presumptuousness here). He did this for a GS100 owner who lives in CA. It's somewhat difficult to just tell you what the translations are of what pops up on the screen, because what pops up usually depends on what mode you're in. There are some obvious general things, but the obvious ones (like, record and pause) you have probably figured out by now. But for the less obvious messages, you would have to tell someone how your camcorder is set up and at what point, when you're doing whatever (record, playback, trying to shoot stills, recording on the SD card, etc.) a message pops up. (This is the Japanese language nuisance issue to which Allan referred in an earlier post.)
Old July 24th, 2003, 02:00 AM   #8
Outer Circle

Quote:
(This is the Japanese language nuisance issue to which Allan referred in an earlier post.)
Patricia, that's what you call er, black mamba mumbo jumbo. That's one of the reasons why I didn't go with the PAL MX3000, and instead with with an English PAL version MX300A. :)

---------------------------------------
It may be PAL, but at least I can read the menus.

PS: the AIWA MX100 VHS multi-system converter works just dandy.
Old July 24th, 2003, 04:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Frank, not to get too far off topic, but I think I made a big mistake referring you back to the supervideo site. I've noticed its invidious influence on you in several recent posts. You have become obsessed by the black mamba. BTW, have you seen, at desktopvideo, the interview with the "meister"? If he did indeed work with Land, that would help explain how he manages to get his hands on some of the latest Japan-only models.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I personally would never have chosen the GS100 without some knowledge of Japanese, unless I were an experienced camcorder user. I also have a "Word Tank," which I recently managed to revive; it's an electronic Japanese/English dictionary. It's still tough going, though, because I don't know enough about dv and camcorders to begin with - and so far, for example, there are at least three different terms that the Japanese use where we would say "frame." Imagine the time involved in puzzling that out when only one of the three terms appears with that translation in my dictionary!
Old July 24th, 2003, 04:27 AM   #10
Outer Circle

Don't worry, Charles and I e-mail each other with jokes. They're not for the faint-hearted. It's just that this black mamba thing has got me laughing.

Japanese? I'm still struggling with English. :)
Old July 24th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #11
New Boot

Hello Kevin.

Originally, I started translating menu on MX5000 which I own. But that project was stoped because MX5000 was well established.

Then GS100 came out. and I helped one person for translating menus.

Because GS100 just came out, I thought I should translate menus & messages for GS100.

Anyway, layout of LCD screen and messages are almost identical to MX5000 (Menu also almost idential), you could use GS100 translation.

Goto Yahoo group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MX5000/files/

and get "GS100B&L.ZIP" or "NV-GS100K English Essentials.zip"

I hope this helps you.
Masaki  Kuraoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #12
New Boot

Thank you!

That is awesome. I just downloaded the "English Essentials" and it has exactly what I'm looking for (as far as I can tell). I am at work right now, so I cannot compare to my MX, but I definitely will when I get home this evening. Thank you so very much for the help. This is the final piece of the puzzle for me. =]

Frank, will you be jumping on the GS100 bandwagon (since you are a big fan of the MX5000), or are you going to wait and see what comes down the road in the next 6 months to a year?
Old July 24th, 2003, 03:47 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Kevin,

For me money is always an issue when it comes to buying new toys. Right now, I have everything I need, but my wish list can easily break Santa's back. Would I buy a MX5/PV-DV953 or GS100? Sure...if I had the "extra" money.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant