Use of same DV TAPE again and again! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 29th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Use of same DV TAPE again and again!

Folks,

Any body tell me whether is it good to use the same DV tape again and again, if yes, how many times it is good to use the same tape to record.

I just completed one dv tape to test with different settings..
Can I start again from the beginning to use, Since its digital format (and not the old analog) is there any performance issues .
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 01:48 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Sure it's all right. But for important footage use a fresh tape. How many times? Some say a lot, I've found 5 to 7 times---before I notice "drop-outs." Also, some tape brands are better than others.

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Frank for the input.

Even though this topic seems to be out of topic which is specifically for Panasonic, but we use the tapes in the panasonic!
So, we discuss which tape affects the panasonic product and gives maximum efficiency !!!

I am using TDK tapes, since i am getting 6 tapes for $25 from COSTCO. So I am going to stick with that brand only.

But there is a problem, i have already two maxell pre recorded tape, I am wondering whether I can play it in this camcorder(gs100k) or not.
Old July 30th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #4
Outer Circle

If you are going to use a different type or brand of tape, clean the tape (record for 5 to 7 seconds with a cleaning tape). Once you switch again, run the cleaner again. Ouch! Perhaps try it without cleaning the heads and see what happens? Personally, I hate to even think about this. I just use Fuji. I've had my share of problems with some tape brands (and mixing them). On my 1st MX300, I only used Pana tape and didn't have any problems, but both Fuji and Pana are dry.
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Frank
I have used That Maxell and TDK cassetes on my JVC 520 U before to record. But that camcorder didnt give any problems, It took almost any type of cassettes!
Old July 30th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #6
Outer Circle

You were lucky. Perhaps these 2 tape brands are the same or similar with their make-up. The biggest culprit was with mixing Pana and Sony. I had problems with JVC tape, just by themselves. I never used Maxell nor TDK. So what else can I say? If you re-use tape and/or mix tape without cleaning your heads, you take your chances. Drop-outs are not a nice thing; gummed heads are ugly.
Old July 31st, 2003, 10:13 AM   #7
Major Player

TDK never gave any problem by itself;
I never used sony or fuji tapes!

I think TDK, Panasonic, Maxell uses similar kind of Lubricants in the tape! So I guess we can use interchangably.

Possibly anybody having problems using these tapes alternatively
can provide more experience with that.
Old July 31st, 2003, 10:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Frank,

You say to record with a cleaning tape. I've always just hit "play" and the tape has done the job.

Why "record"?

Thanks,

Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 06:08 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Either way works. I always just record for 5 seconds, and that seems do to the trick for years. Last time I cleaned my DVL9500s was about 4 years ago. When I first got my first DVL9500, the JVC tapes gummed up my heads. I played the cleaning tape twice, didn't work---still gummed. 3rd time I recorded for 5 seconds, and that worked.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant