GS100K vs 953 (MX500) vs AG-EZ50 (951 or MX350)) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 19th, 2003, 01:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GS100K vs 953 (MX500) vs AG-EZ50 (951 or MX350))

Hi.
I consider getting MX500 (I live in PAL country) or probably even 953 (considerably cheaper then its PAL counterpart), but then ran across GS100K threads on several forums.
I know, no PAL available for this model, but then if it worth the troubles I can use NTSC here (lots of multisystem TVs, VCRs and DVD palyers around).
The question is whether the GS100K is really worth the hassles of Japanese menu (though I know there is English translation available) ? Is it really better then 953 ? I mostly interested in any improvements in low-light capabilities. What about that ?
Also, I've heard it ovver frame mode then is essentially progressive scan video mode, whilst this isn't available on 953/MX500 (as well most other consumer cameras). Is that true ?

Generally, why would you go with GS100K if there is 953 available for the same price including original warranty ?

Also, is really GS100K in black (so called Black Mamba on certain sites) any better technically then regular GS100K, or this is just marketing hype to paint it black ?

Regards, Alex
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 01:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Alex, if you've read enough on this forum you should know there is no Black Mamba. You can also find the differences between 953 and GS100.

There are GS100 silver and black models the difference being only the color. Specs & performance are not afected.

The frame mode is as folows:
60 interlaced fields are still recorded but every second field is doubled from the buffered first one.

May be I'm not very clear. So field 1 and 2 are eventually the same image - when played back you percept it as a single image frame (and not interlaced two different image fields which give a bit blured frame).
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 02:12 AM   #3
Outer Circle

Quote:
I consider getting MX500 (I live in PAL country)
Stick with PAL, get a MX500 or other PAL cam.
Quote:
The question is whether the GS100K is really worth the hassles of Japanese menu
This is up to you. But why do you want to consider this for a NTSC cam while living in PALsville? No translation available. Sorry. Just use the notes posted on the other thread and download a MX5 manual (free).
Quote:
Is it really better then 953?
A little bit.
Quote:
I mostly interested in any improvements in low-light capabilities. What about that?
A little bit, according to Allan.
Quote:
Also, I've heard it ovver frame mode then is essentially progressive scan video mode, whilst this isn't available on 953/MX500 (as well most other consumer cameras). Is that true?
Is what true? All these 3 chip MX/GS Panas have frame mode (pro-scan).
Quote:
Generally, why would you go with GS100K if there is 953 available for the same price including original warranty?
This depends on where you live. Where do you live?
Quote:
Also, is really GS100K in black (so called Black Mamba on certain sites) any better technically then regular GS100K, or this is just marketing hype to paint it black?
Black Mamba is a nick-name for the black version of the GS100. Personally, I think the colour pink would stand out better. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 02:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

There's a wealth of information here on the GS100K. Actually, I just received my black GS100K today and based the purchase on what I've learned here.

As far as I know, the GS100K is a newer version or upgraded model of the MX5000 (which is 953 in the US and MX500 in PAL areas). That would be my simplistic answer to "why would you go with GS100K if there is 953 available...?"

As already mentioned, the GS100K is available in silver (GS100K-S) and black (GS100K-K).
Aylwin Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 02:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.
There is a thread where the MX-8 mentioned as an excellent low-ligth performer, and generally great value.
I have troubles to figure its full specifications, neither there are reveiws available. Any hints ?

Regards, Alex
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 02:25 AM   #6
Outer Circle

There's been some discussion here on the MX1000/MX8/PV-DV852, but you'll find a lot more in the older threads/posts at dv.com's camera forum. Perhaps good old BB, from eeplaza.com will see you asking and come knocking. This guy gave many of us all sorts of MX8 info in the early MX8 days. The MX8 is the Pal version and it is a 1 CCD cam. Yes, it's better in lower light than the above mentioned Pana 3 CCD cams. The MX350 has the same engine as the MX300, with some improvements in the lens. I think it's also a bit more solid than the MX300. Both these cams are PAL models (MX300 and MX350). For good MX350 info, click on Terrence's link at:

http://www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant