The best little cams in the whole wide world - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 26th, 2003, 11:41 PM   #16
Major Player

Low light issue

I could shoot some night outdoor shots last weekend and also can confirm that I'm pleased with the low light performance of GS100.

I experimented putting it in Low Light mode (AE) - it does brighten the image but also boosts the gain up to the max (18 dB) so the noise is heavy.

Again in manual mode but using auto iris the cam resets to max of 12 dB no matter how dark it is so the noise is almost not existent. The colors are great although I couldn't really do manual white balance, so there was slight shift from the real ones. Resolution and detail even in the darkness were good.
I've read that MX5000 boosts noise above 6-9 dB. GS100 is very low noise even at 12.

I also compared ‘low light mode’ (which defaults to 18dB gain) and manually set 18dB gain without AE. Surprisingly the result was slightly brighter 'Low Light mode'. I wonder how this is achieved (slower shutter speed?) - still have to confirm this.

I also did experiment using the 'namera night view' which slows down the shutter if really dark to 8 fps. This mean you have to be steady and your object shouldn't be something fast moving. If there is more ambient light though the shutter goes up to 15 even 30fps (when I shot the neon roof of a dept. store). It's much better than the Sony's 'night view' (without IR light) as it is with good color.

I like this cam!

Oh, and about smearing - a bit disappointed as I've seen GS70 star effect around the street lights. GS100 does introduce light line (although not very heavy) from the top to the bottom of the screen. Not very pleasant but certainly not worse than TRV950 for example.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks for all the info.

My next purchase would be the GS100K replacement, since I already have the MX5000. :)

P.S. Seems like many foreigners live in Japan; it's really good to hear that.
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 03:42 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Opturas

I have two Optura Pi's and a GL-2. I wish the GL-2 did as well with colors as the Opturas - they are amazing. But the GL-2 has a much better lens.

I handled Optura Xi at the WEVA Expo last week. The Berube brothers were touting it for its wonderful 16:9 mode (better than the GL-2?) The Optura Xi is a very nice cam with a load of manual controls and ZEBRAS! From a control standpoint it looks very much like a miniature GL-2. Interlaced only, no progressive mode, and I shoot only progressive........ Oh well!

-Tom-
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #19
Outer Circle

From what I've read, it seems that Canon has finally replaced their Optura PI. (With their new Optura Xi). However, Canon forgot 2 things:

1) progressive (mentioned by Tom)
2) low light (mentioned by Allan)

Other than that, the cam seems like a dream come true, or is it deja vu with 1 eye half shut?

--------------------------------------
Gimme a GS100 or get out the way!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I just had an epiphany...

The Pi in Optura Pi must stand for progressive and interlaced.

The i in Optura Xi must stand for interlaced.

That implies that there is an Optura XP or XPi in our future.

Maybe when the Digic processor is fast enough to process a whole progressive frame in 1/60 of a second???
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #21
Outer Circle

Tom, there will always be new cams on the horizon unless we get nuked, or a big astroid destoys us. :)

I think both the GS100 and Optura Xi are great cams, although I've had neither in my hands. :(
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 10:08 PM   #22
New Boot

Raising the bar

I know many of you could "care less" about what us "old timers" have to say. I cut my video teeth on EIAJ 1/2" Video Standards - (and yes, I have a copy of that standard) - to you, I say "phooey - and I hope you enjoy the toxic landfills we leave for your inheritance."
But to those of you who enjoy the CRAFT of video production, who COMPREHEND the miracle of going from concept to finished video, who ENJOY the rush of seeing a good clean picture on the monitor, I have this to say on this topic: The cheeziest chip camera of today, puts out a better picture than the hottest Saticon camera of 20 years ago.
And it is DAMNED GOOD!
Reality check? Go to your best friend's house, and MARVEL that they watch tv with blue grass and orange sky! And think they have a good picture!
I have a PV-DV600D (and a buggie AG DVC-15; see other post) that has an absolutely gorgeous picuture. If ONLY I could have enjoyed such contrast latitude, crispness, and resolution from my JVC KY-1900's with state of the art Saticons, recording on a brick sized 3/4 cassette with a little red record button!
Yet, we were able to crank out and sell nearly 100,000 video tapes sold 'round the world.
But Jeeze, it woulda been so much better with this little jem!
And I prediced that you could lose the damn video cassette, because it was so small!!

-- Robert McDonald
Robert McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant