Tiffen Mega Plus adaptors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 5th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #1
Outer Circle

Tiffen Mega Plus adaptors

I'm starting a new thread about these new Tiffen adaptors. I cannot find them here in Vancouver. I contacted Tiffen, and told be to contact the Canadian importer (they're in Toronto). So, if anyone gets a chance to actually look at one and try the Tiffen MegaPlus 0.56X, in the 43mm thread size, LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!! Thanks.

http://www.tiffen.com/digital_MegaPlusLenses.htm

Thread sizes: 30mm, 37mm, and 43mm.

Tom, or anyone, further thoughts on the Raynox 43mm 0.66x also welcome!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 09:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Let's hear something from you - dont be shy!

Hi Frank and everyone:

I'm back from my 10 day trip and read your post about not having these adapters in Vancouver! Thanks for trying to check it out and thank you for adding this new thread to try and get some information on the adapters.

Now what we need is some of our good readers to post something! Come gang.... give it up - let's hear about your experience with TIFFEN Mega Plus or other wide angle adapters.

Thanks to those who do contribute!

Rick.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #3
Major Player

So how are we doing on finding those mega plus lenses, Frank? Any luck? I found a web site while browsing around on which the lenses were given a generally positive evaluation, but not a top notch one. The megas seem to have one major difference from the original Tiffen lenses - they have threads. I think it's going to be pretty hard to beat the Panasonic WA if Panasonic ever catches on to the desirability of threads.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 11:11 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Nope. Vancouver's dry in way of Tiffen Mega + adaptors. Maybe I'll try a couple of other shops come monday.
Old September 21st, 2003, 12:30 AM   #5
Major Player

I bought raynox WA HD 6600 pro .66x Its really superb!!!
literally NO distortion, No vignetting.

I tried both ways of connecting it, with the default HOOD as well as removing the hood(as recommended by Pana), I couldnt find any difference but.

Only thing is the built in flash is useless when wide angle is in use.
Probably Pana should come up with some mechanism to move up the flash unit, little bit to compensate the big WA lens.

I LIKE IT.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 07:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Samuel, how about starting a new thread on your lens. Maybe a lens and filter thread for the 100k. I think there are some new owners who might like to hear your experience; hasn't someone else also purchased the same WA you have?
Old September 21st, 2003, 04:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks, Patricia, for letting me know, and its good :-) to know some one there to get some idea from my experiences. I thought of just let you know about the performance of that WA lens.

I still will post its performance and characteristics in separate thread.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 07:46 PM   #8
Outer Circle

I e-mailed Tiffen again and asked them for an e-mail to the company who distributes them in Canada. (Last time I only got their long distance phone number.) I must have called every cam dealer in town, from what I recall, and no one carried the Mega Plus line. Same story with Velbon tripods. I couldn't find anyone who carries them. They used to be everywhere, but that was a few years ago. Makes you wonder, don't it? :)
Old September 21st, 2003, 08:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Probably something to do, in Tiffen's case, with the restructuring.
Old September 24th, 2003, 03:16 AM   #10
Outer Circle

Tiffen USA has been quite helpful with their quick responses to my e-mails. However, I have yet to hear from the Canadian Tiffen distributor---asking them about availability of the new Tiffen Mega Plus line of lens adaptors. If anyone living in the USA owns one, or has a chance to go look at one and try it out with their cam, please feel free to post your impressions here. Thanks!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant