customs import duties at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 11th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

customs import duties

Does anyone understand how import duties are calculated on electronics shipped from Japan to the US? Some PriceJapan buyers had to pay DHL bills for "customs clearance", I believe, so does it matter if the shipper is a business or an individual? For a vid cam package in the US$1500 range, declared as such, what would possible duties likely amount to? Any tips to help avoid customs delays/hassles/large fees on a shipment between two individuals of a cam and accessories for personal use (ie keeping the declared package value under a specific amount)? I'm posting this here because acquiring an MX or GS100 must have taught some buyers about these issues.
Paul Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 03:41 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I don't know about whether there is duty to the USA, in Canada, there is not (with consumer cams from several countries including Japan). Perhaps some US folk who ordered say from pricejapan can give you the scoop, or call US Customs.

Any tips? Why sure, USE FEDEX!

I have another tip, but if I posted it here, I'd be in hot water.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

from what i've expreienced, the DHL guys who shipped the item took care of everything, delivered on time etc. and only about a week later sent me an invoice for the amount.

I guess any good shipping company like DHL/ fedex/ UPS etc. would do the same, and you probably wont have to face any delays.

the merchant - pricejapan in my case did specify upfront that it takes about 2 days for customs clearance, and took it into account while commiting delivery time. I belive the customs duty is slightly more for items greater that $2000 in value.
I believe they have some info like this on their website at www.pricejapan.com
Amit Sawarkar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant