The death of Mini DV - Panas ZERO dropout and storage solution - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 19th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #16
Inner Circle

well, the world as a whole isnt THAT bad in itself.. LOL

I was actually going to mention the fact it might be a cultural thing but i didnt wanna rub anyone the wrong way...

but i think the attitude your describing is accurate, and i also agree 10000 percent about the still photographers...

we're straying of the topic...

ok so here goes... soes anyone know, apart from the standard DV deck backup kind of configuration, whether or not something mobile like this (either SD, HDD or otherwise) is possible at this point in time??

I saw the JVC HDD a while ago about 5 months ago from memory, does anyone know of something like this for Pana gear??
Maybe something in the works?
or are we stuck with DVTape backup systems?
hmm....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:11 AM   #17
Wrangler

SD can work, but I am pretty sure they are not the cheap and slow ones you can typically buy. There are high speed varieties that cost quite a bit more.

A HDD system would have to be light, tight on power, rugged (ask Chris about the trouble with flying laptops), with interchangable disks and batteries.

Technically, I see no reason why someone could not build a system using HDD. The larger question is whether potential manufacturers think there is a market for a portable, prosumer system for what it costs to build one.

SD can accomplish all of that, but the big problem would be the high cost/GB.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #18
Inner Circle

>With disk prices falling so quickly, miniDV will eventually be only on the consumer end.

Imagine higher video data rates that aren't limited by the miniDV tape data transfer rate. You will probably be able to choose from MPEG2 HD?, DV25, DV50, DV200 (made that up), uncompressed, or whatever. 320 GB disks are now available for a bit less than $1/GB , which is about 3x the cost of miniDV, if you use the entire tape. I only use about half a miniDV for each of my sessions, so I would totally go for something that would skip the serial Firewire "capture" process.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:05 AM   #19
Inner Circle

"Imagine higher video data rates that aren't limited by the miniDV tape data transfer rate. You will probably be able to choose from MPEG2 HD?, DV25, DV50, DV200 (made that up), uncompressed, or whatever."

Maybe one day Glints, we wil have the option of this kind of format seelction...

How good would that be??!!! I mean can u imagine the time its going to save just literally plug and play and edit and burn straight off.

on top of that, the drop out and wear and tear ratio would decrease dramatically... heres hoping for a cheaper HDD alternative to tape, SD aint bad IMO, but price is a major issue...

U know what id like would be to have a HDD deck like those HDD portable mp3 player recorders... instead, it has a 1394 connection and when connected, replaces the tape mechanism of the cam.. (bit like when recording with a backup deck)

i'm sure it can be done, and with regard to weight, a belt clip or shoulder pack would be a good alternative to camera mounting.

see, the thing is, this technology is already made available... sure there are people eperiencing issues with the new technology, however like most things there are teething problems.

maybe soon enough we'll have this option we all dream about...
maybe Pana will take notice one day and recognise that there is indeed a market for this alternative media...
Old September 26th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Didn't Hitachi or another company announce development of a multilayer optical storage that is using some kind of a blue laser and that has a capacity in the Tara range? And I think that there is an UV laser drive under development -- I read it somewhere, that would have even greater storage capacity. I don't think that flash memory is the future. Optical drives will be the future.
Christopher Toderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Well, actually, why can't we have this today? My Sony vx2000 has
a smart media card port. So does my Sony Wega TV. However, I'm stuck with cruddy JPEG images.

Just design a camcorder with slots for two flash cards, running in parallel. Or, make a device that sticks in the Firewire port that can house 2-4 cards. To transfer them to the computer, the 400 MBit Firewire or USB 2.0 interface will do it. Hell, I'll pay $200 for a little contraption like this. For a while, I was looking for a 2x miniDV tape reader. This will blow the doors off that.

The parallel cards will yield the flash memory bandwidth necessary to store DV25 or DV50. The tape will continue to work as a backup or whatever. When the cards fill up, oh well, they no longer store material. The rest overflows to tape. I've read announcements of higher bandwidth flash cards with wider data busses.
Old September 28th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #22
Warden

It still doesn't make financial sense for most users. Several manufactures just announced 4gb CF cards. They're only $499 USD each. So, for about $2,000 plus $200 for your parallel adapter I can do what $3 or $4 dollar mini DV tape does. I agree that the future will be solid state, but not today or tomorrow.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 08:29 AM   #23
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher Toderman : Didn't Hitachi or another company announce development of a multilayer optical storage that is using some kind of a blue laser and that has a capacity in the Tara range? And I think that there is an UV laser drive under development -- I read it somewhere, that would have even greater storage capacity. I don't think that flash memory is the future. Optical drives will be the future. -->>>

yeah mate, its called blue ray.. sony were the first to develop it and apparently its taken peoples attention...

this wont be availabelk for a long while yet, as im sure piracy and other mass media storage issues will need ot be looked at first...
Old October 6th, 2003, 04:23 AM   #24
RED Code Chef

Well, Sony had a LOT of blue ray stuff on it's stand @ IBC here
in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago. They seem to be pushing
this quite hard for the professional marketplace. Probably will
take a while to filter down into the consumer/prosumer market
indeed

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 04:30 PM   #25
Inner Circle

>It still doesn't make financial sense for most users. Several >manufactures just announced 4gb CF cards. They're only $499 >USD each. So, for about $2,000 plus $200 for your parallel >adapter I can do what $3 or $4 dollar mini DV tape does.

Not really. Such an adapter could allow for parallelization of several cards to exceed the tape data transfer rate. This would allow for better DV formats in shorter durataions or "burst mode" photography, a particular application I'm chasing.

>I agree that the future will be solid state, but not today or >tomorrow.

Tomorrow is getting closer. Check out this advertisement for
compact hard disk drives. This is all I could find on this device, for now.

According to the Japanese website PC Watch and also EE Times, GS Magicstore will release a 4.8GB version of its 1" HDD in November. It is a Type II CF format card and will be compatible with digital cameras from Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sanyo, Olympus and Minolta. Additionally the GS Magicstore product road map indicates a 7 - 8 GB unit late in 2004, 10 GB at the start of 2005 and 16 - 20 GB late in 2005. The company is also developing a 40 GB 1.8-inch drive which it will launch in April.
Old October 6th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #26
Inner Circle

The 40 GB minidrive would make an ideal portable video accessory. Imagine being able to rapidly inspect your shoot while on location. This is where digital video should be. I would MUCH rather use the miniDV tape as a one-shot backup rather than an interactive recording/transfer medium.
Old October 6th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Pretty soon, the miniDV tape drive will be an optional backup device.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant