GS100 TV playback and preview at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 19th, 2003, 06:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GS100 TV playback and preview

Hi.
Still exploring my new GS100. Now testing TV connection on playback and preview.
Have recorded a few minutes of tape, connected to A/V of TV as required, playing back brings nothing to TV screen - no video, no audio, video is playing back on LCD and in viewfinder.

Are there any menu options in the cam that disable A/V output ?

Have yet tried S-Video connection.

Alex
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

BTW, as I understood S-Video cam output doesn't carry audio signal, right ?

Alex
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:03 AM   #3
Inner Circle

exactly....

dunno the jap translation, but in VCR mode, ana cams have an "AV in/out setup" function.
In there you can assign the output jack to either IN/OUT or OUT/Phones.
Pana cams also have an Audio dub selector which allows u to dub audio either thru the mic, or thru the AV Jack
The DV out config (backup, DV copy etc) is also in theis area...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter.
I was really nervious searching through teh menus several times, readign even DV953 manual. Figured the AV setup you mentioned in the translation, (though the suplied translation of this specific point wasn't clear), nothing helped, UNTIL I figured another smaller socket just under the once I considered AV one - this one turned to be an AV indeed and everything begun to play as a sharm !

BTW, what is the socket just above the AV ? (a bigger hole the AV with metal surrounding)

Alex
Old September 19th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Alex, it's the plug for the wired remote control or for an external mic (plug-in power).

Yes, no audio from S-video. You have to connect the supplied composite AV-cable as well to get audio. You should not connect the S-video and yellow composite video cable simultaneously. Depending on your TV, no image may appear if both video plugs are connected at the same time.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Allan, but isn't the AV connector sharing both AV and ext. mic functionality ?
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am strugging with this too. There are not enough plug ports. For example, you cannot have the wired controller and an external. Can you have phones and mike at the same time? Confusing...
Peter Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, unfortunately, there are sharing of functions of the same plug.

The AV port also functions as headphone port. Make sure to set to Out/Phone (Headphone) - VCR Mode, 6th Menu, 1st Sub-Menu -when connecting a headphone, otherwise you'd not hear the right audio channel.

You should be able to connect a headphone and a mic at the same time right?

If you want to use the wired remote and a mic simultaneously, you must buy Pany's proprietary hot shoe mic.

The MX5K was even worse - AV In/Out, headphone, and wired remote shared by one port.
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I did buy that mike and it isn't working. I don't know what to do...
Peter Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 01:13 AM   #10
Regular Crew

What I have yet understood, is what teh wired remote is required for if there is regular wireless one (IR) ?
I noticed it can sevrev as and clip-on mic, right ?

Alex
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:08 AM   #11
Major Player

Pany would not provide an LANC connector so as a compromise, they're providing the wired remote. Zoom speed is not variable though. In any case, it is pretty convenient to use (when shooting) especially when your cam is mounted on tripod or when shooting at awkward angles/positions.

The wireless one is useful both during shooting and playback. You can even perform Menu Operations using it. There are some functions that require the use of the wireless remote...audio dubbing is one I think.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:44 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Ok, thanks Allan, have yet tried the remote controllers, no need so far... :-)

Alex
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant