AF sensors manual switching at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 24th, 2003, 05:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AF sensors manual switching

I posted this to Open DV Forum by mistake, not wonders why this left unregarded there, so I ry my luck here:

If my memory serves me well, there is three
AF sensors available in GS100 in photoshot mode, am I wrong ?

Also, I've noticed somewhere in the past that it is possible to choose manually from these three once in photoshot mode and manual.

So far only one is activated (turning green as AF locked) at the middle upper position of the bracket (AF area ?).

Alex
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Alex,

I dont have time to really look into it but I would encourage you to look into 953 manual for this information.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Samuel for an obvious suggestion.
Checked both 953 and GS70 manuals - nothing sid about manual AF sensors choosing ability. Moreover 953's manual mentions AF area (AF rectange) with green dot at the upper part of such to be AF confirm.
I thought this dot is one of 3 AF sensors available to be picked manually as I thought I read somewhere (on GS100) a while ago. I'm apparently wrong though...
:-(

Used to control AF points manually for precise focus in my SLR.

Regards, Alex
Old September 25th, 2003, 04:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Alex, selective focusing is available with the Sony, as far as I know.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2003, 04:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Allan, I apparently was wrong about GS100 in this respect.

Alex
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #6
Major Player

But you can achieve this effect in the manual mode, by pressing the MF button and select a particular subject to get focused.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks correct, but requires rcomposition technque so familair to experienced photographers. I often used this technique until acquired Canon EOS-3. This one has quite wide AF area (area covered by its 45 AF sensors and each one available for manual choise), so I got lazy and often used this feature quite successfully. Just compose the image in the finder, then precise focusing is achieved by activating particualr sensor that covers the required subject's detail.
(patricularly useful for off-center portraiture and Macro).

The downside of our video cam capable of shooting still is that it is very difficult to achieve really shallow DOF, until miving physically really close to the subject.
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant