DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   humidty issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/15370-humidty-issues.html)

Patricia Kim October 7th, 2003 04:13 AM

Frank, I've noticed that my camcorder gets pretty hot when I take it to gatherings, mainly because I keep it in quick start mode, I suspect. Do you think the camera heat helps in warm weather with keeping humidity away? (Right now, it's pouring rain outside, which it really hasn't done much this summer on Oahu, so...)

Frank Granovski October 7th, 2003 04:35 AM

Good one: keeping a cam hot in hot humid weather. I wouldn't know, it never gets hot here in Vancouver. :)

Maybe strapping a ice-pack under the cam will cool 'er down. If it gets really hot, perhaps dry ice. :)

Bogdan Vaglarov October 7th, 2003 05:04 AM

Thanks Patricia for the specifications - yes 0-40 degrees and 10-80% humidity - not so different from what I thought initially.

Well in Japan the temperatures generally doesn't exceed 34 but 5 months are almost all of the time over 80% so did we've got something for half year usage?!

This shouldn't be the case in my opinion. These are the safe service numbers the manifacturers usually state - check any electronic equipment spec sheet. I just did that for my video deck - absolutely same numbers but in the same room I never had 'humidity' issue with this video but with the GS100.

Lincoln Norris October 7th, 2003 05:47 AM

Thanks for yah advice...I have already contacted pana once about this an dthey said that I have to take it back to the place of purchase who will then deal with pana.....Lucky bought reasnobly close...the thing is that its a cheap discount shop with staff who dont even have out of box inventory and 0% friendlyness......but I dont care as I can be as unfriendly as they want me to be......and hopefully start hassling pana well before warranty expiration.....but if get replacement it better be a black beuty.....I will probably start my quest on Sunday,

why not?

Any good advice of complaint welcome!

Cheers,

Lincoln

Peter Warren October 7th, 2003 01:35 PM

Isn't anyone using the all weather housing? Chuckmeister seems to indicate that this is the way to go...

Frank Granovski October 7th, 2003 02:24 PM

I recall the MX300 housing was very expensive. So I never bothered. With that kind of money, you can buy a good mic and an XLR adaptor. I'm not saying this housing isn't useful, but it kind of defeats going with a small cam.

Bogdan Vaglarov October 7th, 2003 02:38 PM

Right Frank, this all weather case is about 26800 yen usuall price. People in Tokyo or using point card can make it a bit cheaper I guees.
Any way the main intention for this case is to use for vacational diving shooting some colorfull fishes at shalow depts (shnorchelling) or at extreem conditions - ski, beach (to protect from the dangeres sand).

Frank Granovski October 7th, 2003 04:10 PM

Yes, like said, "I'm not saying this housing isn't useful." For me, I can get away with not using one. But then I don't swim anymore (since I moved to Vancouver), I don't shoot in the desert, it never gets that cold here, and when I do shoot in the rain (which I try to avoid) I shoot from under some protection and have my baby wrapped in see-through Saran Wrap---so everyone can see my puffed-plasticTM.*

*puffed-plastic, trademark owned by beaser. :)

Patricia Kim October 7th, 2003 05:16 PM

So, Frank, the other side of the question is, if I use quick start and keep my camcorder going for six hours (as I've in fact done) in especially moist weather, will that contribute to humidity shutdown?

Peter: what is the chuckmeister's explanation re the aquarium - did Panasonic figure most people would buy it so need to calibrate the camcorder for non-fish? And what about that little horse blanket that's sold? Doesn't it do anything? Or am I getting the horse blanket and the aquarium mixed up? (I'm not putting down these items, by the way, it's just easier for people to visualize which item I'm talking about by using these terms, especially if I have the correct terms reversed.)

Allan Rejoso October 7th, 2003 08:44 PM

LOL Patricia!

The horse blanket is called Snow and Rain Jacket

The housing is called All Weather Housing

Their names should speak for themselves. Note that the first one is recommended only under SLIGHT snowfall or rain.

I don't think the All Weather Housing would help under humid conditions. It will only introduce more heat and humidity to the cam.

Lincoln,

Unfortunately, I think it would be a waste of time to go back to the discount shop and avail of warranty. Have you read their warranty policies very carefully?

One thing those discount shops have in common is that they would help you with warranty issues within a VERY SHORT period of time only (from 3 to 2 weeks depending on the store). Beyond that period, you MUST go direct to Pany. It's not true that you can't go to Pany. As long as you have a VALID warranty card (the one inside the green envelope) and some receipts to prove the date of your purchase, you can bring your cam to any Pany Service Center near you and they will definitely look at your cam. If you can't do that, you can even go to a regular store like Yamada, Kojima or Bic and they would handle bringing the cam to Pany but they would charge something like JPY3,000 for the trouble. Of course, you'd have to explain that your warranty card is still valid.

Besides, the condensation problem you're having with your cam will not be accepted by those discount shops as a proof of being defective.

Bogdan, that's a great price for the GS100K housing! Which store is it? It's more like JPY30,400 in Tokyo.

Frank Granovski October 7th, 2003 09:01 PM

Quote:

...if I use quick start and keep my camcorder going for six hours (as I've in fact done) in especially moist weather, will that contribute to humidity shutdown?
Yes, but no if you're lucky. I've experienced this with a number of cams over the years. Solution: be selective in picking less humid days, and expect it if you don't care about poor weather conditions. I don't think this wrecks the cam. I've pulled out my cam when it was snowing, but I didn't shoot for 6 hours---more like 6 minutes, then I'd wipe 'er clean, gently. :)

Samuel Raj October 7th, 2003 09:34 PM

Patricia,

Quote:

I can see us all in the rainy season wherever we are trying to shoot events and dragging along hair dryers as a camcorder accessory. Samuel will then have to start adding to the GS100K owners' list who has which model of hair dryer.
Lol, Creative Idea(!) for new owners to get some dryers also along with their cams!!

Bogdan Vaglarov October 7th, 2003 10:33 PM

Allan, you can find the case and many other accessories at Hat-In online store. Here is the link for the cases:

http://www.hat-in.com/japanese/jma-d..._pana_case.htm

Their policy was to ship free if the order exceeds 20000 yen but check out for updates. Also the handling charge was very low - good store in my opinion.

I think thet both methods (wrapping in Saran wrap and all weather housing) would be effective if performed prior to putting the cam in the humid environment. Once there is some humidity already inside this would lead more to a "green house" effect rather than preventing the occurance of dew. Heat from the cam will also help for this to happen.

Any way what Lincoln and I experienced is somewhat normal conditions and shouldn't lead to cam malfunction. I haven't exposed the cam to rain or mist after all.

Lincoln Norris October 30th, 2003 07:56 PM

In The Service Centre

G'day everyone!

I just thought I would let you know that my NV100K still has Humidity issues...Usually when I start it after a minute or so the Dew Warning Light signalls. I then reset it on the side and it runs fine for some time. This is only when I use it on cold days. Not that cold though. Nothing to annoy my mates Sony...Camcorder.....well

I took it to the Akihabara Discount shop...Suprisingly they where fine and simply directed me to the Panasonic service Centre. Dropped it off

and will get it back in around 1 week.

Just thought Id let you know,

Cheers,

Lincoln

Frank Granovski October 30th, 2003 08:06 PM

Let us know if this issue goes away once you have it back from the camcorder hospital. :)