GS100 Mic AGC modes utilization at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old October 7th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GS100 Mic AGC modes utilization

I wonder when would be usage of AGC modes most appropriate ? In what situation would you use Mic AGC on Auto, when on Manual and when would you prefer No AGC option ?

Regards, Alex
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Alex, on this DV forum there is another section related specially to sound.

With 2 words. Use AGC off when you don't want to hear the ambient (background) noise amplified when there are pauses in speech etc. If the AGC is ON in the silence periods the mic will try to compensate and "search" for audible source which you know is not there. So you'll heare broom and noise amplification. Also the first words of the speeker might get distored as the AGC system is taken by surprise with a very strong level at maxum gain.

In usual everyday shooting gain on or automatic is OK but if you do interviews or other Pro stuff you are better off controling the sound manually.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 04:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot, Bogdan, that clarifies the point.
Recently I was caught by a sudden wind once shooting my child playing in a play ground and since I never implied Wind Cut fucniton so far I didn't know how to do that (hadn't the menu cheet sheets with me), so the sound on certain portion of clip was badly interfared by the wind. I was wondering whether woudl I shoot with Manually controlled AGC (or no AGC) would
instantly help out in such situations....

Alex
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant