NTSC and PAL Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 6th, 2003, 11:36 PM   #1
Tourist

NTSC and PAL Question

I live in a region that uses PAL TVs, but I want to buy a 953 from the US, which will be NTSC (much lower price of course!).

Will this cause me problems?

I want to write from the cam to my Mac, make videos, then create DVDs. Most TVs in my region do NTSC playback, however I'd like to create PAL DVDs. I guess my biggest concern is the difference in fps, 30 for NTSC and 25 for PAL. There is also a number of lines difference, but I think this is less of an issue.

I'll be using iMovie, iDVD and QuickTime Pro, maybe I'll get decent video edit and DVD authoring if I can justify it later.

Help please! And thanks from a newbie.
Robert Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:46 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

G'day Robert,

See this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=16618

The situation is sort of the reverse of yours, but the same advice applies. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 12:36 AM   #3
Outer Circle

The NV-MX500A is the Australian version of the PV-DV953. Try this shop for a good deal on a MX500 and tell them that the chuckmeister of supervideo.com sent you. You might get a better deal that way.

http://www.cameraaction.com.au
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 05:00 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks Guys

Here's some advice I received on another thread - guess I'll buy an NV-MX500a locally:

NTSC resolution is 640x480 pixels and PAL is 768x576, making PAL sharper.

Shooting NTSC's 30Hz (30 frames per second) under electric light (50Hz current) will give you a flickering video, especially using florescent light.

You can NOT export a NTSC video to a PAL VCR (for those that doesn't have a DVD player).

Conclusion: Buy a PAL camera for use in a PAL country.
Robert Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 07:14 AM   #5
Trustee

Re: Thanks Guys

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Green :
-->>>

I wouldn't use the word "sharper", as it is too generic a word. You will have more resolution, due to the extra lines you will have. The image should be better looking, particularly on a TV. On a monitor NTSC and PAL images do not differ too much from each other, only on certain circumstances.

<<<--
Shooting NTSC's 30Hz (30 frames per second) under electric light (50Hz current) will give you a flickering video, especially using florescent light.
-->>>

Not especially using fluorescent light: flickering will happen ONLY with discharge lamps, that is fluorescents, HMI, etc. On all other circumstances, meaning lighting with incandescent lamps, there won't be any flickering.

But if you are shooting just for video or TV, you can use your shutter to tune the flickering sometimes.

In any case, in spite of the slightly more expensive price, if you live in a PAL country your first camera choice should be PAL, because you will also get the extra resolution.

<<<--
You can NOT export a NTSC video to a PAL VCR (for those that doesn't have a DVD player).

Conclusion: Buy a PAL camera for use in a PAL country. -->>>

Definitely so.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
NTSC DV resolution is 720x480 and NOT 640x480
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant