Why Bryan thinks his VX2000 is better than my MX300 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 8th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I've got to chime in here. I own both the VX2000 and the MX300, both PAL, both the same age, both used for my wedding and event business.

Firstly, listen up :-) The VX2k is a much better photographic tool all round. It's low light capability blows the weedy Panasonic into the middle of next week. It's ND and D of F control, 6 bladed iris, lack of CCD flare and top loading make this a real photographer' s cam, and I love it. Although 'no-name' as you guys call it, the 12x Sony zoom is wonderfuylly sharp and flare free.

Ah, but the MX300 is half the weight, half the size, half the cost and seven tenths as good. Maybe even 8 tenths on a good day. The bottom loading is a pain but the slim sleekness of the body is a delight to hand hold, whereas the VX is a pain in the wrist.

The Leica lens is wonderfully sharp at wide angle - better than the Sony in fact. But at tele it's not as good and certainly not as impressive. The 72mm at f2.4 D of F on the Sony is miles better than the silly 42.6mm at f2.87 on the MX. The CCD flare is worse, the stills to card are better, the auto ND I hate.

It's horses for courses. You can hide the MX in the palm of your hand and sometimes this is an over-riding advantage. But if it's quality footage you're after, the VX2k wins.

tom.

B
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #17
Major Player

Ha Ha

the weedy Panasonic , I have to credit you Tom that is so funny.

Its a good cam so long as you foocus to minimise CA as well as maximise sharpness, but the look and feel of it is pure Toys R Us next to the Barbie dolls

The mighty VX2k - well I sold mine with 600hrs clocked and got a very nice price for it, but those transport controls - pure Sinclair ZX81 :(

OTOH the mighty old Pana F250 is pure muscle like a 750i beamer

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #18
Major Player

The bottom loading clamshell design definitely sucks majorly.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 06:45 PM   #19
Outer Circle

I don't care what anyone says about my MX300. So what it can't shoot cheeks in the dork! So what that it's a bottom loader! So what it's puffy! At least it's small and plays back 500 lines. Just think, with this oh puffy one, you or I (not Bryan) have the option of shooting in frame mode, for fine chop chop film making. Wait! There's more: I own one and Bryan don't, and I'll bet my old boots he's jealous as hell. I will not let reason stand in my way; I will not go out with a whimper!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2003, 03:37 AM   #20
Major Player

And if you like a longer cam (as opposed to a taller cam) you can get the Mx300's brother, the MX350. Pure poker fun!
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2003, 03:54 AM   #21
Outer Circle

Yes! Yes! MX300/MX350 shootout right here:

http://www.mycen.com.my/inbox/mx2.html - with lots of MX links.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant