Pal Footage on GS100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 13th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Pal Footage on GS100?

Hi,

Still undecided on my cam purchase, a quick question to the GS100 owners.
I hear that Sony NTSC cams can play PAL recorded tapes into MAC/PC through firewire and back. I would Pana cams to able to do the same but would like to be sure.

I'm in PAL land, don't plan to mix PAL/NTSC footage, will use videos for output for web and/or DVD only, and the $$$ savings on a NTSC cam are significant. Still, the ability to up/download my PAL tapes to my MAC would be an important feature.

With some owners of Pana NTSC cams on this board, I hope that someone can answer on this. I contacted Alan recently and he told me that after talking with Pana reps, he was informed that it is not possible. If Sony's can why not Pana or other brands.

Thanks for any feedback.
Joao Oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Quote:
I hear that Sony NTSC cams can play PAL recorded tapes into MAC/PC through firewire and back.
Which consumer Sony models can do this? I only heard that the PAL TRV900 could play back NTSC footage, but not moved via the cam's firewire.
Quote:
...he told me that after talking with Pana reps, he was informed that it is not possible. If Sony's can why not Pana or other brands.
What Sonys can??
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Frank,

I've got this from camcorderinfo forum. One of the senior members, Kerr Avon if my memory is correct, mentions on several threads that Sony TRV19/22/33 can do it. I would assume that all other Sony's as well. This might be BS, but I doubt it, otherwise someone would have come out and denied it.
Old November 13th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Well, I really don't know, but what I do know is that the PAL TRV900 could play back NTSC footage, but not upload/download nor convert. The NTSC TRV900 could not play back PAL footage. I have never heard of any NTSC Sony models that could playback or upload/download PAL footage. Perhaps you could e-mail Kerr Avon and find out more about this. This is certainly news for me, but at this point I'm suspect. Feel free to post here what you find out.

Oh, and my PAL MX300 can not play back NTSC. I've tried it. :)
Old November 13th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #5
New Boot

Well, I have insufficient technical knowlegde here, but it would seem to me that while camera optics and chip capture differently for PAL/NTSC, when transferring footage via firewire, this is basically a digital data stream. The editing software would then be the one to determine if it is PAL or NTSC and work it accordingly.

Again, I don't have the technical background but this makes sense to me....

As for mailing Kerr, as far as I know he is Sony user and I would really hear some Pana user to confirm/deny this.
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Joao,
I have confirmed information that you can record correct NTSC signal via the FireEire from NTSC to PAL miniDV cam.

Then you can see color image on the PAL cam's own LCD monitor. However when you use the S-video or composite to watch on TV the image is black and white as the signal is NTSC (played back by the PAL cam). You'll need multy system TV to watch in color.

These is slightly different from what you want and reverse too but you can use it as starting point.

No any maker will admit their product can do both formats as it's against their policy.

I don't have any miniDV PAL recorded tapes otherwise I would check for you with pleasure.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Quote:
As for mailing Kerr, as far as I know he is Sony user and I would really hear some Pana user to confirm/deny this
I am a Pana user, so is Allan. The Pana NTSC GS100 will not play back/upload/download/convert PAL footage. And I am suspect about your claim about these NTSC Sony models. I suggest e-mailing this "Sony user" or contacting Sony to get more information before you ask why Sony can do this and Pana can't.
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #8
New Boot

I don't expect the NTSC cam to convert PAL to NTSC and v.v., I'm also not interested in the Sony cams and their capabilities.

I've heard a lot of discussion about "if you are in PAL country get PAL cam", but for my purposes, I can't see any reason to buy a PAL model if I can get NTSC for half the price.
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:21 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Joao, you have a point about prices. But if your country uses PAL, you're going to run into all sorts of problems with using a NTSC cam in PAL territory. Don't make this mistake. Perhaps settle with a cheaper PAL 1 CCD cam.
Old November 14th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #10
Major Player

Blame Europe's import tax system. :)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 07:50 PM   #11
Major Player

Best choice is to get PAL cams from Singapore or Malaysia through YowCH. Prices of PAL cams there are much cheaper even than Tokyo, while Tokyo is usually cheaper than Europe. Just have to wait when the PAL would finally be out, and starting street price should be higher than the current price(s) of the Jap GS100. MSRP (if ever they decide to give one) should be less than that of MX500.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #12
New Boot

Hi Allan,
Quote: "Best choice is to get PAL cams from Singapore or Malaysia through YowCH"

How can I get in touch with YowCH and who is he?
Old November 15th, 2003, 05:36 PM   #13
Outer Circle

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=15402

He is a well-known member here and he has also posted for many years on dv.com's camera forum.
Old November 15th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Don't do it joao. I did the same thing for the same reason (a canon cam) and all the little hassles go a long way towards destroying the pleasure ....
Emmet Lucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #15
Regular Crew

(I mea that about buying an ntsc cam, not about contacting Y :-) )
Emmet Lucey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant