DV852 & Shotgun Mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 9th, 2003, 11:08 AM   #1
Major Player

DV852 & Shotgun Mic?

I'm seriously think, about to pick up the phone and call B&H, and order a 852 for $569. Question:

How can I hook up both an XLR shotgun and XLR lav to this camera while shooting a scene, and manually control the mic levels.

Thanks...
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Mic input is stereo minijack only. You'll need an XLR adaptor and probably a phantom power supplier for most shotgun mics.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: DV852 & Shotgun Mic?

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Brown : I'm seriously think, about to pick up the phone and call B&H, and order a 852 for $569. Question:

How can I hook up both an XLR shotgun and XLR lav to this camera while shooting a scene, and manually control the mic levels.
-->>>

That's an easy one. You have two choices: get a converter (passive or active) or get a mini-plug to XLR converter.

If the mic you plan to buy (model?) is dynamic or self-powered you can go direct with the cable adapter. If it's phantom powered you will need some power supply, that will go between mic and camera.

For the cable adapter you have two choices: a mono cable or a stereo cable. In fact you should get two cables: one mono and one stereo. This is important: if you are using just one mic use a mono cable that sends the same signal to both channels. That is the miniplug is still stereo but the same mic signal goes to both channels.

For more than this information you should go to the audio Forum.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 05:57 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Dan, that B&H price is a real steal---and one heck of a 1-chip Pana cam.

For XLR adaptors, you have a few good choices. Beachtek makes one with phantom power.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant