Panasonic Gs50s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 10th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #1
Tourist

Panasonic Gs50s

I'm looking to replace our old analogue Sony camcorder. I picked up a GS50s from a local outfit, as the person behind the counter highly recommended it.
What I'm looking for in a camcorder is:

Work with hockey Arena lighting.
Outdoor sport events, indoor family events. Ski slopes, climbing, etc
Apple g5 w/ 10.3 compatible. (To purchase soon after Xmas.)
Capable of Digitizing content from my old 8mm tapes -> DVD
Any mention of the GS50 seems absent from this arena, as with other newsgroups? Is this not a popular model.? Seems to get very little mention by anyone. Why?
Should I spend the extra funds and purchase the Gs70s instead? I have read many positive reviews on that particular camcorder.
I haven't tried the Gs50 here at home yet, as it is intended to be a Christmas present.
I am hoping to not disappoint with my Xmas gift. Comments please...

Thanks!
grins,
mike
Mike Cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:55 PM   #2
Outer Circle

You should ask the questions before you buy the cam. :-)

This is last year's model? How much did you pay for it? Is cost an issue?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 01:52 AM   #3
Major Player

In Japan it's very popular family model. The price of the 3CCD GS70 though made it seller No1 for the mass market.

Differences between this 2 are many - GS50 is more compact to start with.
Both give sharp image (a bit oversharpen as all Pana cams).
Resolution is visibally lower on GS50 as well as the color reproduction.

I don't know for Mac suppurt - think you can work with video without problem, but SD card utility is missing. You have to buy extra card reader to download still taken with the cam.

Depends what's your goal and how you whatch video. Are you sitting 1m away from your TV set checking every pixel on the screen?
If it's just about fun you should be OK.
Sony TRV22 will give you better low light though.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #4
Tourist

Gs50

You're right about the fact that I should have done my homework first. I typically to go great lengths to research but as of late, time is not on my side. :-)
Last weekend, while using our old camcorder, it started to again act up. It's been a good camera, been around the world, had it's share of bumps and bruises and needs replacing. IT got a lot of use! :-)
With the purchase of the G5, I hope to get to get the family involved with the photo editing, video editing etc. Thus the list of pre-requisites.
The person at the local outfit felt the GS50s would suffice. It may very well be OK as Bogdan suggests (Thanks Bogdan!)
but with the lack of references to the GS50 anywhere... I was concerned. BTW, Frank, you mentioned last years model? Are you referring the GS100 as the replacement of the GS70, or that the GS50 is to be replaced?

Thanks!
grins,
mike
Mike Cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #5
Major Player

I believe that GS50 is actually new and replaced the previous year's GS5 (or was it GX5). Sorry, I'm so far away from my reference catalogues. Very very compact and for that reason alone quite a popular model in Japan as Bogdan mentioned.

Anyhow, I believe any DV cam should suffice if you give it enough light, if you don't need so much manual options, and if you refrain from comparing with the better/more highly featured cams after you purchase.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant