Anyone have GS100 working as WebCam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 13th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #1
Tourist

Anyone have GS100 working as WebCam?

Hello All,

I'd like to use my gs100k in web camera mode. Unfortunately it does not want to do this (XP keeps talking about serial driver, which is not installing correctly off the CD).

I don't have any ties to specific webcam software (yet), but would prefer something tied to driver rather than teleconfrence/webcam software.

Some of the other ideas I'm looking into:

- Using the camera on FW port and use translator driver.

- Using the camera output from svideo or composite video, and use some form of capture/translation software.

Has anyone got the camera to work in such a mode?

Huge Thanks,
Old December 13th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know what your problem is, but I use my GS100k as a webcam all the time. It sometimes has compatibilty issues with some cam programs like Paltalk. For the most part it works fine. I noticed that if you plug in the firewire and USB cords at the same time while in webcam mode you can sometimes transmit a really big, high quality image instead of the usual cam window you get when only using USB. Try using Eyeball chat from Eyeball.com if you get your webcam mode working. It works really well, or check out my site at silversow.com for a list of lots of other video chat alternatives.
Jamie Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #3
Tourist

Further Details...

The problem is this:

Plugging in USB while in video-record mode has XP try and install the DVC-Serial port driver (which fails).

When trying to install the webcam driver software directly from the included CD, it appears to install (which is hard to tell since almost all the text shows '??') and reboot the system. Unfortunately nothing appears to work, and certain other software (in particular GameDrive and some of my games) to not work properly anymore. Uninstalling the driver software fixed the conflicts.

Though the Eyeball software looks interesting at first glance, the perference is to get the camera working with Netmeeting first, since a) this is what the PV-DV953 said it works with, and b) this is what TechTV primarily uses for its live on-air Netcam calls. ;-)

So, how exactly has anyone gotten the camera working as a Webcam?

Thanks,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant