a simple wish :-) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 17th, 2003, 03:39 AM   #1
Outer Circle

a simple wish :-)

Never mind the XLRs, never mind the 24P and never mind the MPEG2 HD. I only wish for little things, and one of the things I wish for is this: why can't these spectacular MX's come with 37mm filter threads or at least come with 49mm threads, instead of having threads stuck somewhere in-between? My JVCs have 37mm filter threads, and so do many Handycams. With the 37mm thread size I could get the most excellent Tiffen wide angle adaptor to screw onto my MX cam. A perfect fit! On the other hand, if it had the 49mm size, I'd have the option of obtaining almost any "pro" specialty filter for the film look. Yes, those pro filters start at the 49mm thread size (and go up from here). Look it. The Sony TRV950 has a physically wider front lens element than the MX5, In fact it's even so with the HAD'd, 1-chip TRV70. Do they have 43mm or 49mm thread sizes? No! They're both 37mm equipped. So a Tiffen wide would fit just fine; and with the increased front filter size (of the Tiffen adaptor), the doors are open wide to the world of specialty filters. It's a simple wish really, and one I've been wishing for for a very long time.

www.tiffen.com

Disclaimer: this thread is not intended for the stiff-necked nor the ironically challenged; and participants must be of sound mind and of legal age. :-)

Okay, I'm beside myself. It's your turn.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Frank,

It's the simple things in life that are the most special and the most ridiculous!

Don't know if this will help, but here are a bunch of step up and down rings....

http://porterscamerastore.com/Mercha...egory_Code=F2F

Good Tidings to you and yours...

Clay
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Rings are usually not the best solution because they place the filter or adaptor further from the cam's glass. And then there are the matters of making a larger adaptor fit, which does not always fit into the front of the lens housing, and using a too small of an adaptor which will cause some beautiful vignetting. :-)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #4
Major Player

...not the best solution...a solution... sort of. best solution, hand hold the glass directly in front of the lens until someone wises up and makes what you need! Or, better yet, hire a beautiful assistant to hold the glass for you....a filter implement, if you will. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant