Panasonic MX500 / 953 as web cam... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 17th, 2003, 05:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic MX500 / 953 as web cam...

On some rare occasions I'd like to use it as web cam, but I can't make it work. USB works since I can download photos & when I enable "web camera" on camcorder WinXP recognizes it.... If I try to run NetMeeting (start/run/conf) MX500 is not seen under cam choices.... Anyone could give me advice on how to make it work? Especially which videoconferencing or messaging software you recommend to make cam work? Thanks! Boyan P.S. Nice to see my old thread still alive :)
Boyan Dob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 10:08 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Are you perhaps using an old version of NetMeeting? It might be
that it isn't recognizing the newer standard most devices are
using.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:12 AM   #3
Tourist

After reading your post I got curious -- it had never occurred to me to try using the web-cam function. I hooked everything up, trying both the firewire and the USB interface -- netmeeting would not recognize either one. (Version 3.01) My logitech web-cam works like a charm, but not the 953.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:30 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
My logitech web-cam works like a charm, but not the 953
The low light feed on these 1/6" 3CCD cams is rather disappointing compared to 1/4" and even 1/3" dedicated webacmas.

I think the $50 for a dedicated webcam is well worth it.

Just my .02
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:34 PM   #5
Tourist

Good point -- it always makes sense to use the right tools for the job, but it might be interesting to be able to use a $1K+ camera in place of a $50 web camera. (the why escapes me, but it is still an intesting problem) The issue seems to be the webmeeting software recognizing the USB drivers from the 953, rather than the low light capability. (or lack thereof)
Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:58 PM   #6
Major Player

I have used the MX350 (on firewire) and my Fuji S602 (still, on USB) as webcams on my PC, using Messenger. The results seems much better than Logitech's entry level webcam.

I have also noted that the MX cam is able to zoom and all manual controls (WB, Iris, Shutter, Sharpness, Saturation) while being used as a webcam! this is good reason to use a $1k cam instead of a $50 cam! Also, being the owner of the $1k cam, I need not pay another $50, making do with what I have!
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

updated drivers for pana cams are avalable at panasonic.com.au under camcorders.

the links to the downlaods are on the left!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #8
Wrangler

953 as webcam

I have used my 953 as a webcam. If you use the newest version of MSN messenger, it has vc built in. I was able to hook up the 953 through the firewire port. Just leave the tape out and it will stay on and feed a live picture through the 1394 port. This allows you to keep the full 30fps. If you engage the webcam button, two things happen. 1. the camera downgrades to 15fps and 2. The camera insists on using the usb port. Audio is fed via your computer mic and not the camera mic.

I used the above setup to hold a videoconference at full 30fps with my son stationed in Okinawa in the Marine Corps. He commented on how much clearer the video image was, compared to what we got when I used the 953 in 'webcam mode'.

I would have to agree with the other gentlemen though. You have to use a lot of light to get a good picture but it IS a good picture.

regards and Happy Holidays to all,
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant