Audio input GS100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 18th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio input GS100

I am trying to get a audio signal into my gs100 via the AV in/out. When I plug in the audio cable I am still getting audio from the camera mic and no signal from the external source.
Paul Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Check the menus in VTR/Play mode.
I can't refer now but you have to asign the in/outs manually.
By default your input is cam mic.
Do you have the translated menus - we've talked for them before.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I do have the menus but they are with the camera in Atlanta I'm in Indiana right now. I left the camera with a friend. He was in a jam and needed the camera. He called and wanted to know how to set the audio input so he could use the line input and not the camera mic. I could not tell him how. I thought someone could give me the menu numbers to input and I could walk him through it. Thanks for the reply.
Old December 18th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #4
Major Player

OK, I had the file on my work computer so here it is.

In VCR mode go to menu - line 6 (starts with AV)
Enter there - there are 3 lines.
Enter on the second line and change to the second option (the arrow is on the firts column - change it to the second).
Confirm and you should be ready.

That will change the Audio Dubbing function from mic to line in.
Old December 19th, 2003, 08:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you so much! I'll give him a call this morning. Happy Holidays to you.
Old December 19th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I called the guy and walked him through the menus and it seemed like all was going well till he tried to get the audio through the line input. Still nothing. The instructions above are for using the line in for audio (and will turn the external mic off) while using the camera to video the subject, Right?
Old December 20th, 2003, 06:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Paul, if you've noticed in all my posts I'm talking about VTR (or playback mode) and off rec audio input. I haven't tested it myself.

Now it seems you are talking about camera mode. You want to record from mixer probably while filming.

Use the same guide but insted of line 2 of menu item 6 (AV...) change the setting on line one. The default is the second column which is Out/headphone. The first column is In/Out.

That means that you will cancel the headphone output and eventually be able to input line signal. Havan't tried that too.

Wish you luck and please report of the result if possible. It will be useful for everybody to know how it went.
Old December 20th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes, I did notice we were in VTR mode but though, that might be how it's done. (What do I know:-)) I wish I had better news but, so far no luck. He keeps getting audio from the camera mic and not the line in. The camera will be back to me soon and I will try what you said myself and see what I come up with then I will post my findings. Thanks for all your help on this!
Old December 24th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm stumped

I just got my camera back yesterday. I tried all the above instructions myself and still, no audio input on the line input of the camera. Any other suggestions?
Old December 24th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #10
Major Player

OK Paul,

It's clear 2 things. First you can alter the audio in/out options for the audio dubbing in VTR mode.
Second - it's not only this cam but for adding audio options during camera operation you are left with the mic input only.
Check out the section 'Now hear this' for various options people are using to connect audio devices to the cam. Usually it's an adapter box or specially designed portable mixer which outputs mic level signal. For input to this 'boxes' you can use XLR mic jack or mini plug line signals depending on the device design.

Seems you have to add the hardware.
Cheers and good luck.
Old December 24th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

You are right about having to have the right hardware to get the audio to the right signal level. This is a must I know. I am by trade a live sound engineer. My problem with the camera is that I can't get it to show any input level from the line input and the camera mic will not turn off. I would think that when a person plugged a cord into the line input the camera mic would shut off. I will do some more searching and if I come up with anything I'll post it here. Thank you again for all your help trying to get this to work. The people on this forum are the best!!! A very Merry Christmas to everyone here!
Old December 24th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #12
Major Player

Merry Christmas to everyone too!

Paul, I really think it's not only GS100 that behaives this way. In Camera (shooting) mode you are likely to have only 'mic in' working as audio input. The other mini jack is in Headphone mode on most of the camera brands. (in fact I don't know any not doing this way)

Despite that I really don't like the implementation of the ports on the GS100. They made it to fit the small size and consumer orientated low knowlege user. They give you one plug for 3 functions (eg. mic/remote, or line in/line out/headphone out ???) Blah... I doubt the quality and the durability of this ports too if you exchange gear often.
Old December 24th, 2003, 10:39 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I agree with you on that! To bad that Pana didn't offer an add-on for XLR input on this camera. I do hope I will be able to find a way to turn the camera mic off and use the line in. Maybe it has something to do with the hotshoe? My friend in Atlanta could get audio in on his line input and got the camera mic to turn off with his Pana EZ30U. I would think I could do it with this camera, but only time and more research is going to tell me that one.
Paul Jason is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant