Official Black Mamba Pic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old January 21st, 2004, 03:56 AM   #1
Outer Circle

Official Black Mamba Pic

Panasonic sent me a picture of the black professional NV-GS100 cam a few weeks back. In the spirit of Fred, I believe he was onto something. For example, the GS100 is black, and the pic they sent me is called, GS100pro.gif. (Note the "pro" after GS100.) Furthermore, you will note in the picture, Pana placed a black-cased FUJI tape next to the Black Mamba, and not a Panasonic tape. What does all this tell you? Well, a number of things:
[list=1][*]the GS100 is a professional cam because it's black[*]FUJI minDV tape is a professional tape because it's black[*]Panasonic uses FUJI tape[*]Fred was correct[/list=1]

Here's the pic: http://www.8palm.com/gs100pro.gif
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:21 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I thought professional cameras were red, white, and black.
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:30 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
I thought professional cameras were red, white, and black.
Red, White, and Black. No problem.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...le2(Small).jpg
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:39 AM   #4
Trustee

Why would a 'pro' camera have non-standard colour bars?
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:22 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Why would a 'pro' camera have non-standard colour bars?
I think you mean non-SMPTE as non-standard is a little too vague. The bars on the DV953 and GS100 are commonly referred to as camera color bars. I would have preferred SMPTE color bars but thats easily fixed with the SD memory cards (and a mix-to-tape).

Does anyone else soley use the SMPTE bars for calibration? For black levels I much prefer a seperate pluge pattern.

http://www.mediacollege.com/images/i...ch/pluge01.gif
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:58 AM   #6
Trustee

Yeah I did mean non-SMPTE but as they are the general standard for colour bars I thought it would have been enough. Thanks for clearing it up. The XL/GL series alos have these 'camera bars' but if Panasonic are marketing the camera as 'pro' then you'd think they'd include 'pro' reference.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:36 AM   #7
Wrangler

I hope no one takes this thread too seriously

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : I thought professional cameras were red, white, and black. -->>>

No, the XL1 is only a pro camera when you add a black manual lens. Which may only make it a prosummer camera. Hmm... What colour is the DVX100 again? BLack or dork grey?
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:17 PM   #8
Outer Circle

She's black to my eyes. :-))
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:53 PM   #9
Major Player

Frank,
To be a professional camcorder shouldn't it have a handle on the top?
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:59 PM   #10
Outer Circle

Well, no. The PD100 didn't have a handle, nor did the AG-EZ1---and they're both black and sold through their pro divisions. Hope this helps. :-))
Old January 22nd, 2004, 10:47 AM   #11
Major Player

So all I need to make my cam a professional model is a black magic marker? Do you think nail polish would work better?
Michael
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:01 PM   #12
Outer Circle

Spray-paint. :-))

Note: this post is not intended for the ironically challenged.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:24 PM   #13
Wrangler

Yep, and eveyone knows that giving your lens a good coat of black spray-paint (flat or glossy) is a great way of identifying stuck pixels on the CCD.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:42 PM   #14
Major Player

Why did they forget to paint the focus ring, which is so close to the lens, black on the model they sent you a photo of, Frank?
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:25 PM   #15
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : Yep, and eveyone knows that giving your lens a good coat of black spray-paint (flat or glossy) is a great way of identifying stuck pixels on the CCD. -->>>

You paint the lens directly eh? Wow that's news to me. I hate to think about how many UV filters I've ruined.
I know another guy who does it just by putting his lens cap on. Talk about unprofessional! What a loser.

(Actually, when I shot my first short the (somebody else's) cam had 3 dead pixels. Never noticed until I was doing the edit, and I got to a scene shot in low light. Heh.)
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant