Where to buy PV-DV852 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 12th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Where to buy PV-DV852

Someone suggested that I look into this camera for shooting low light video on a budget.

But I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere for what I was led to believe it was worth (around $600)

Nothing at all on ebay either.
Jeff Toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #2
Wrangler

The DV852 has been discontinued for over a year and they were only verified to be in stock at B&H over the last two months. They sold out yesterday morning and this is a good chance they will not come back in stock. It was probably a lost crate but definitely a rare find and a great bargain.

B&H (www.bhphoto.com) has the option of signing up for email notification just in case they get more but at this point you might want to start considering another cam.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

you can also try ebay. I got my mx1000(japanese dv852) with a carrying case off of ebay for $475 plus shipping.

i would check b&h regularly because when i signed up for the email notification they never contacted me when they got back in stock.
Langston Sessoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:43 PM   #4
New Boot

Panasonic PV-DV852 from B&H

I suggest you give B&H a call (they have a Toll Free Number). We were looking for four of the DV852's for a project, their Web Site indicated "out of stock". I called to place the order just in case they were getting more. I was told they had four in stock. I ordered them and they shipped them a few days later. If you place an order with B&H for an out of stock item and give them your Credit Card information, they will not charge your Credit Card until they actually ship.

B&H is a first class company with fair prices. Their many years of success is due to customer satisfaction.

A friend of mine found a NIB factory sealed DV852 on eBay in early January for $500.00 + shipping. The item was as listed NIB from an authorized dealer. The dealer likely found it when cleaning house.

Good luck finding your DV852.

Brian
Brian Kirkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #5
New Boot

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here and have gained a lot of information, thank you all! I ordered a PV-DV852 from B&H last Wednesday morning, it was showing that it was "In Stock". latter that day I received a Email stating they were out of stock. Gave them a call and they said that model was discontinued and they would not be getting any more in unless they got some returns. So I asked them to cancel my order, so I could order another model, which I was told they would. Latter I got another Email informing me they had canceled my order and it would be 7 to 10 days before my credit card was credited (they had charged it), Emailed them again about this but recieved no reply. I had to call them again to straighten that out and order another model. I ordered the Panasonic PV-DV901 another model from a couple years ago. It was originally a $1800 unit, and they are now selling it for $530. From what I've read it is not near as good as the PV-DV852 in low light, and does not have optical image stabilization. It does have a 3 inch LCD viewfinder, a bigger battery, and a 16MB memory stick though. Should have the PV-DV901 by tomorrow, if I don't like it I will send it back. I was not to happy with B&H's service, although I've only heard good things about them here. I think I missed a great deal by just minutes!
Robert Kamrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

if you're not stuck on panasonic, the sony trv38 might be a good alternative if you don't mind the touch screen menu.
Old February 17th, 2004, 03:59 PM   #7
Outer Circle

And the TRV38 has also come down in price lately, but it's no Pana DV852 nor DV901, let alone the black mamba. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:47 PM   #8
Tourist

pcvideoonline.com still lists them on their site for $579.
Glen Acord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew

there's one on ebay right now for $400
Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:18 AM   #10
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Langston Sessoms : if you're not stuck on panasonic, the sony trv38 might be a good alternative if you don't mind the touch screen menu. -->>>

Well actually this is the camera I have right now. I am not entirely satisfied with it's low light performance and was looking for something relatively cheap that would be better in low light.
Jeff Toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:50 PM   #11
Regular Crew

well then you should stay on the prowl for a dv852. i don't think anything else compares to its lowlight performance in this price range.

do an ebay search for "dv852" and see what comes up.

another camera that might be worth checking out is the JVC DV3000 but I don't think it has OIS. i could be wrong.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:24 PM   #12
Tourist

I figured I'd better clarify my earlier post. I meant the DV852 is on the pcvideoonline.com site for $579, not the Sony. I've never dealt with these guys so I don't know anything about them.
Glen Acord is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant