PV-GS400, successor to PV_DV953 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 27th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #1
New Boot

PV-GS400, successor to PV_DV953 ?

Someone in camcorderinfo.com claims there will be PV-GS400 replacing PV-DV953. See http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t48618.html

Personally called sale4sure but their salesman has zero knowledge about its specification. Their website has little information, just taking pre-order for $1,499.

If it's true, can be as hot as NV-GS100K. Anyone confirm ?
Oliver Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Oliver

That camcorder site you referenced specializes in rumors and often reports new camcorder models too far in advance. Here we specialize in information, not rumors, and begin our discussions on new models only when they have been officially announced by the manufacturer. In short, until there is a press release by Panasonic, it should be considered "vaporware" and I wouldn't put much stock in it. After all, you can't get your hands on it until it's available, assuming it becomes available. Things change quickly for various reasons and I can't advise placing much stock in rumors. Confirmation will come at the right time, when the manufacturer announces the product and publishes its specs. Then you can come here for all of the solid, correct information. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Quote:
If it's true, can be as hot as NV-GS100K. Anyone confirm?
Don't know. Has the GS400 been posted yet on Pana's Japanese site? As you know, Pana's consumer hand-held flagship was never released outside of Japan. So, if the rumored GS400 will be a Japanese Domestic only, then, yes, it will be hot. If it'll be released outside of Japan also, then, no, it most likely won't be hot---going by Pana's track record.

A couple of months back, Pana told me the GS400 will be replacing the MX5 / PV-DV953 / GS100, but then quickly "correced" himself. So this could mean either of 2 things:[list=1][*]He gave me a glimpse of a bright future[*]He made a mistake.[/list=1]
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #4
New Boot

Chris,

I did not mean to transport rumors. As you see, assuming no one lies, at least three different sources indicated existence of GS400. So it seems more than "vaporware" to me. I am still pondering between getting GS100K or waiting for the next US model, but maybe too excited.

Frank,

The fact Pana corrected himself in front of you seems more like "made a mistake by leaking the core secret". With MX5 / PV-DV953 / GS100 in market for over half year, I don't believe company like Pana has no new refreshment in factory.
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #5
Outer Circle

If there is a GS400 in the works, it may or may not be better than the GS100; and if it is better, assuming it's in the works, it'll only be better by a hair. So, there's no reason not to go with a GS100 now, if you can live with the Japanese. If you're an auto man, there should be no problem. But if you already own a cam, think about it. Too many people buy a cam, use it once or twice, and then want to upgrade it with the latest and greatest. Unfortunetely, new consumer cams suck light. My very old GR-DVL9500U's are still serving me well, and I actually make money with them. Plus they don't suck light. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or replace it. :-))
Old March 1st, 2004, 08:52 PM   #6
Major Player

It may be the PAL version of the GS100K.
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:05 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Well, yes, it just very well could be. I say this because Pana Tech sent me a GS100 pic when I asked about the GS400; but then Pana told me that they had made a mistake about the model number. So, it's all speculation with nothing in stone as far as I can tell. Let's not miss any sleep over it. I'm not. :-))
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:14 PM   #8
New Boot

> It may be the PAL version of the GS100K.

Considering US is the larget overseas market, it is very unlikely Pana will release PAL model before US NTSC model. Also they tend to use NV-GS instead of PV-GS for PAL model.
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:20 PM   #9
Outer Circle

I'll e-mail you the pic, if you wish. All I saw on the pick was GS100, but I'll check it again.
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:53 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Considering US is the larget overseas market, it is very unlikely Pana will release PAL model before US NTSC model.
Well that might be the case except for the excellent MX3000 which was released in Japan and then PALsville (as the MX300) but never to North America.

One thing to point out is that the sale4sure website didn't seem to carry any other PAL cams and they are located in New York City.

I'm not really sure whats up..
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:06 AM   #11
Outer Circle

Quote:
Considering US is the larget overseas market, it is very unlikely Pana will release PAL model before US NTSC model.
Hmmm. Wouldn't PAL be the biggest market? There's a way more people living in Europe, Asia, The Middle East and in and about "Down-Under, etc, than NTSC land: Brazil, Korea, The US, Canada, Mexico, etc.

Camcorderinfo was correct about the MX5000 coming as the PV-DV953. I'd like to hear more about this GS400, but I would prefer hearing it from "The Horse's Mouth." That would be Pana. :-))
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:49 AM   #12
Wrangler

Wow, what a long list.

http://harrisdigital.net/ntsc_pal_countries.htm
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:22 AM   #13
Major Player

But the NTSC market is much "bigger."
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM   #14
Go Cycle

If you look at the new Panny line for April, it seems they took features away from the GS70 and added them to the top line camera. EX: Remote and MPEG2.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:55 PM   #15
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : Wow, what a long list.
-->>>

The list is inaccurate, because Brazil only broadcasts in PAL-M. Recording, DVD, VHS is all done in NTSC. PAL-M practically is non-existent nowadays as a recording system.

PAL-M is only a special kind of NTSC, as it is also 525 lines, 60Hz.

But PAL-M is better than NTSC (or was really) for transmitting, because it rejects ghosts reflection (from mountains and buildings) more accurately.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant