Some questions about mx500 by a new user! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 6th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Some questions about mx500 by a new user!

Hi!
First excuse my poor english, I hope you understand me!
I am a satisfaticted user of panasoni mx500, but I've some questions:

I usually use a lot of mini dv tape brand, Tdk, fuji especcially, do you think I'do right choose or I have to use only panasonic tape?

I start use frame mode, the first experiments look bad, like a strobe effects, but few days ago I reach a good reults...I your opinion when I have to use frame mode?I my opiniono always if I want a cine-like look...

Last: Does anybody knows were I can find a Hood for panasonic Mx500, I know it have already one, but I would it to give to my mx500 a look like a professional camera...

PS using a Hood may I increase low light problems of this camcorders?

Thanks all...
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I always recommend Fuji.

A hood blocks out unwanted light from the sides.

With frame mode, don't pan/zoom/tilt for best results, or just do it slowly. Frame mode will look choppy on your LCD, but will smooth out when viewing via AV and S-video out.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks all that I need!
Have you any idea where I can find a hood for mx500...no result with internet research...
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Marco,
Welcome. It sounds like you are enjoying your MX500. Good!

Use of multiple brands of video tape is somewhat controversial. Some folks say never do it. Just stick to one brand. And, others mix them up. I am one who mixes them up and have not experienced problems doing that. YMMV.

Frame mode is very good and I use it a lot. Using it also gives you 1 F-stop of additional light sensitivity. However, I do find that in low light the chroma (color) grain is higher than in normal.

I purchased a Hama hood from B&H Photo. Their ad says the hoods are screw on but they are not. They are clip on and the size is the barrel size of the camera, step up ring or outside diameter of a filter onto which they clip. B&H stocks 3 different sizes, 49mm, 52mm and 55mm. I suggest getting the 52mm and a 43-52mm step up ring. That way you can install the hood on the front of filters, the current hood or directly to the main filter threads on the lens. Using the hood should not affect low light performance.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

hy guy,
I think mx500 is the best choice for a newbie like me!In Italy cost 1500 € more or less than 1450 $, but I hope someday will have a dvx100...
About frame mode, I see there is more grain, but it's a little bit.
Maybe I buy your suggested hood, today I start the "wedding buisness" and the "wedders" prefere filmaker with a look like professional camera even it's a 20 years old s-vhs camera!!!!
This is the reason I change the deafult hood of this camcorders!

Can I give you another question?
Do you have a mx500 too?How about a wide angle converter?

Thanks and excuse my poor english....
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #6
Outer Circle

The Pana wide angle adaptor is very good, but since it doesn't have threads in the front, you'll have to find a large slip-on hood for it, for unwanted light plus protection, because you won't be able to screw on filters. A real favourite here is the Raynox HD5000 and HD6600. The 5000 requires a step-up ring from 37mm to 43mm. The 6600 has the 43mm threads. (These 2 Raynox adaptors come with front filter threads.)
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sigh
The Hama hood is that I search since I've purchased my mx500, 26$..not expensive for me and it's look very professional...but the shipping cost is very high...26.95$ tooo much!
No one italy on-line shop sell those articles...sigh sigh...

For Franks: There's lateral distortion with wide converter?
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Can I give you another question?
Do you have a mx500 too?How about a wide angle converter?
Marco, I have the DV953...the NTSC version of the MX500. I also have a .6x Kodak wide angle conversion lens. There are some photos on my website of the lens, pictures I took with it, and also the Hama hood.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Quote:
For Franks: There's lateral distortion with wide converter?
I think that the Pana wide has the least amount of distortion. However, Tom Hardwick would be the one to best answer that question.
Old March 6th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks to everybody...guy's photo really nice, I must copy your mx500 transofrmation!!!!!!

bye and goodnight!
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:11 AM   #11
New Boot

Hi Marco,

You can order the lenshood in Germany also!
CAn save you a lot of shipping costs, don't worry about taxes, we now have freedom of movement for people and goods within Europe.

http://www.fotokoch.org/filter/26702.shtml

(I don't think this one is the cheapest, but just to show you.)

When you want to search some more, yust put in the word HAMA and the hoods number 93125.

You can search with google, altavista just make it German by putting DE after the dot. Ebay.de is also something to search.
Use the words `Sonnenblende`or `Gegenlichtblende` to find some more lenshoods.

I just tried it from google.it, that gives you almost the same results. Hope this will help you! Enjoy your mx500

MX500EG, abit IT7 pentium 2,4, 1024MB, 2x80Gb, fx5600, LE 5.5 2x 19"crt.
Richard Troost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:53 AM   #12
Outer Circle

Wouldn't a soft rubber hood be more protective? I'd also look at B+W slip-on hoods. German made. I don't know which one would fit on the Pana wide adaptor, though; or have you decided which adaptor you may go with? The Raynoxs and Tiffens have the front threads so it would be easy to get a screw-on hood. Out here in Vancouver, Hoya hoods are easily found. That's what I mainly use with my lenses---but I'll be d_mned finding one for the 37mm thread size---locally.
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:49 AM   #13
Regular Crew

oh thnaks for the link, I check iy now...I choose the hama hood with a general brand stepup ring, like guy bruner suggest, it's a good choice for me, because it give the professional aspect I would, so my mx500 look loke a professional camera...

Hmmm I don't understand nothing, I hope I've friend who knows germany...
Old March 8th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #14
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Marco Mezzalana :
Hmmm I don't understand nothing, I hope I've friend who knows germany... -->>>

Even for that I can give you a solution, won't be perfect but good enough to know what's written there.....

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=it

And now I give away the last one ;)

You can also search the Brittish google!

www.google.co.uk

MX500EG, abit IT7 pentium 2,4, 1024MB, 2x80Gb, fx5600, LE 5.5 2x 19"crt.
Richard Troost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Uao!Who are you?A wizard?good, now let's go to translate...really thanks, finally I've found people who can answer my question...
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant