About low light anda mx500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 19th, 2004, 07:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

About low light anda mx500

Hi,
Today I discover MX500 low light problem, insn't so little. Compare mx500 shot with old nvds28 shot in low light condition, nvds28's results very better. I saw mx500 are uncomparable in daylight ora "very high illuminated" enviroment, but it's unbelievable a 1500 euros Cam as no performant as a 500 euros cam (with a single ccd...). I'm considering muse both cam for my shot, when I'm in low light let's use nvds28. I would more from one of the panasonic cam...Do you agree?

PS Using max gain with nvds28 result in a grainy image but I can see more details than max gain in mx500. Any suggest?
Ah and how about sharpeness?Can improve mx500 performance?

Thanks and good week end..
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I don't understand, the MX500 is extremely sharp. However, you are correct about its high LUX requirements, then so are the LUX requirements high for a lot of today's single CCD cams. I'm not happy about this, and I'm sure most consumers aren't happy either, especially if they upgraded from older miniDV cams or older analog cams. My opinion is that the cam makers don't care. They just want to make money. But the bottom line is that the MX500 is still a great cam, and no matter what you do, the MX500 will require light.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #3
Wrangler

Have you tried using the Gain Up mode?

Have fun, bring light!
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Frank you're right,
i tried use gain but the truth is the mx500 is not good as old analog cam in low light conditions.
After i've spent 1500 euros I will find other ways but for me camera makers have to consider a new prosumer camera must be better the an old consumer camera...
Old March 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
i tried use gain but the truth is the mx500 is not good as old analog cam in low light conditions.
No, not gain. There is a digital effect called Gain Up. Have you tried it?

The DV953 is definitely not "great" in low light but very few consumer digital camcorders are.
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Oh gain up, it's very useful and it's solve the low light problem with low grain, BUT the images aren't useless they aren't fluid, there are a lot of motion blur too much for me, Oh I'm afraid could be a good low light solution! There's a way to solve the motion blur problem?And in my opinion the image look like few "strobe". Excuse for all that question, but I would a camera that equal its cost to its performance...

Bye...
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Quote:
Excuse for all that question, but I would a camera that equal its cost to its performance...
Probably a VX2100, but it doesn't have 30P/frame mode nor very good 16:9, if you're wanting a cam that doesn't require as much light.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Excuse for all that question, but I would a camera that equal its cost to its performance...
I think the performance of the DV953 exceeds the cost but it is weak in low light. Like Frank said you can get a VX2100 which is quite remarkable in low light but its double the price and double the size.

With camcorders its all about trade-offs!
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Oh, but I don't want change my mx 500. If ther's a way to improve its light performance good, else when ther's few light I've to avoid use mx500.
I agree with tommy, but it's unbelievable an old mono ccd cam have better beahvior in low light than mx500. For the rest I'm happy, but I must use my old nv-ds28 for shoting with low light, this after I've buied a 1500 euros cam...This make me little nervous...
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant