DV852 with Apex 191? (plus lavs and stuff) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:07 AM   #1
New Boot

DV852 with Apex 191? (plus lavs and stuff)

I've been doing my due-diligence research on everything needed for my interview project. I got the 852 after rave reviews here and I haven't been disappointed yet.

I went into this knowing that I would need a boatload of accessories! The main things I am looking at now are the mics. I am going to get either a used Sony ECM-55b or a new AT-899 to use with an XLR adapter that feeds the sound to both channels. Is the new AT-899 worth double the cost of a used ECM55b?

I have read every post about the Apex 191. Like Frank, I was also initially looking for a stereo zoom from Panasonic but then I decided that for a regular (don't hate me) on cam mic I would get a short Shotgun. I'm still not clear why I wouldn't want a stereo mic like the ATR-25 or better? The only problem is that I cannot find anywhere to buy the Apex 191 from. Frank talked about buying it locally in Canada. The Apex website doesn't really have a list of places to buy it from in the USA or even mail-order (yes there is a "finder" but some of the places it lists are non-existent). I will try to call them today and see if they can help too.

By the way Frank, how does the Apex 191 sound? That's assuming you got the XLR adapter already from Bryan. Is the Apex truly a good replacement for the onboard mic for everyday use with the Senn MZS6 shock-mount for the shoe?

Now I have to get that Bogen 3130, Nova 5 bag, Fuji tapes, batteries...........

-Stewart
Stewart Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:40 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I did a simple test with the MX300 built-in mic and with the Apex 191. The Apex 191 sounds is cleaner. I put both clips on a VHS tape and played them back on my JVC TV---this TV of mine has very good audio, unlike my other TVs.

The Apex 191 is not a "shot-gun" mic. It is a cardioid, so it picks up from the sides as well as from the front; but this is what I wanted.

The cables are problimatic, since the hang from the side of the cam. I'll have to come up with a way of fastening them.

I still have to buy a "mic muffler" (sock), and a Manfrotto clamp for my tripod---for using the mic with my DVL9500's, since they do not have a shoe.

Do you want to know where you can buy the Apex 191 in Canada? The Canadian price is $99 (Can. Dollars). I bought mine of a mucic store chain. Have you checked with local music stores? The kind that sells musical instruments, mics, stands, etc etc.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:14 PM   #3
New Boot

Frank,

Thanks for the update!

I was using the term "shot-gun" loosely. A cardioid pattern does seem appropriate for an all around camera mounted built-in replacement mic, if there really is such a thing.

What made you decide on this type of mic over a stereo mic like the AT-822 or ATR-25?

I'm in the Los Angeles, California area and nobody I talked to has even heard of Apex mics. A Canadian source would great!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:24 PM   #4
Outer Circle

I quickly realized that a good stereo mic is very expensive and I don't think there are any really good zoom stereo mics available. Also, the Apex 191 is small, while many other ones are large---too large for my small cams.

Bryan Beasleigh tested numerous mics and found the inexpensive Apex 191 to have very nice audio capability. I more or less went with his suggestion.

I'll see if I can find you a link later, regarding the music store I bought it from. It is a nation wide chain. In Vancouver, there are several stores, and 2 of these locations are just a stone's throw from where I live.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:59 PM   #5
Outer Circle

The store is called, Long & McQuade. Their website is:

http://www.long-mcquade.com

If you want, I can get you one. You'll have to send me a M.O. for $120 Canadian and made out to Long & McQuade. The $20 would be for insured/expediated PP. (Mic cost, $99.99.)

PS: I'll take a pic of my MX300, Apex and shock mount at the end of the week, and post it. Hopefully I'll get a mic sock by then.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:42 PM   #6
Major Player

I'd like to see that too frank, post it here if you can. I still want to try to get a k6/me64 eventually for my gs100 but i may look into getting an apex in the meantime.
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #7
New Boot

I spoke the Yorkville peole today and they gave me the name of the local rep and said he should be able to order the Apex for me but they were not positive. They did say that nobody in California carries Apex mics that they know of. They also said the MSRP was $120 US and goes for around $100 street. I'll let you know what I hear when the rep calls back.

Thank's for a most generous offer Frank! Ordering from the rep or something local would be less work for you but if it doesn't pan out I will probably take you up on your offer.

-Stewart
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #8
Outer Circle

It's no work for me. I take a box and bubble stuff along with your M.O. to the store, a 5 min drive, if that; give them the M.O., package the mic for them, and tell them to send it via insured, post---takes 10 business days. I would get them to actually send it so there are no taxes on this end. I'm also talking about Canadian Dollars (.75 US). I package and ship stuff every few days anyway.

Or, just deal with Long & Mcquade yourself. (I posted their website.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant