sensable Lux at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 17th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #1
Major Player

sensable Lux

Is there any change in the LUX sensitivity of 953/gs100k if you use large wide angle lenses?
(like Aspheron)

if you can show a test pic would be great if there's any change.
George Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Outer Circle

This has been discussed before here and at dv.com's camera forum. A wide angle adaptor will not decrease the lux requirements of your miniDV cam. Here's a very lovely thread about this topic:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=9862
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanx Frank =)
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #4
Outer Circle

I've been looking for this certain other thread, but I think it got moved. It was even more lovely than the thread I posted above. I'll keep searching. :-))

I found it! But it's about pixel shift technology. Oops. (Funny as H_ll---now located in Area 51)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=9491
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Frank... those people wrote a few books in the first thread you posted, but... no real tests =)
incredable
(why someone didn't just try it?)

oh.. hahaha... it's too late for comedy =) I'm reading the second thread (about the 3CCD cam that's not)

.. well...
little knowedge is a very dangerous thing =)
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:45 AM   #6
Outer Circle

One member that posted there has a PHD in Broadcast engineering, or something like that, and Jeff teaches photography at a college or a university. Regarding a test. Yes, that's a good idea. But when I tried a couple of wides on my MX300 (in low light), I couldn't tell any difference. Perhaps you can take your PV-DV953 somewhere and shoot some test footage with a wide or 2. Are you in Toronto? Henry's probably carry the 43mm Tiffens.
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Adding a wide angle conversion lens to the DV953 does not make it more sensitive. The aperture and gain settings do not decrease when I use a .42X fisheye on the 953.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #8
Major Player

=) ok
(since you've tested it and there's no difference)

Otherwise.. the theory in practice, cannot replace the practice in theory. ;-) -> or HPD in theory does not help you in practice :)
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Lux is the measure of light falling onto an object. So lux only changes by the source, not the angle of the lens on the camera.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #10
Outer Circle

If "this" were true, wide angles for pulling in more light, every Tom, Dick and Harry would be using wide angles on their cams, including this guy; and these adaptors would be big business---but, alas, it's not the case. :-))
Old April 18th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #11
Major Player

Rob, you should tell that to those dumb-nuts that made the Hubble telescope. if they only knew what you know! =) they could have acheaved the same result with much smaller lesnses.
;-)
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #12
Major Player

.. talking.. talking.. and no one posted any test pics...

if you have large lenses to put on your cam, make a shot without them, then put it "on"
move the cam (closer) so you have the same scene visible as in the first case. make another shot
then compare.. or better yet .. post them =)
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #13
Outer Circle

Quote:
. talking.. talking.. and no one posted any test pics..
A lot of members here own a wide lens for their Pana cam, and none of these mambers have ever mentioned that they have noticed a difference, except that everything gets wider. :-))
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:14 AM   #14
Major Player

Heh guys before you throw insults at people expecting that wide angle lenses might help for sensitivity lets look at it this way. If i were to put a 2x converter on my cam it would take light away. in a slr camera lens, if i put a 2x converter on the back of the lens it will double the fstop. this considered it would be logic that if you used wide angle converters it would do the opposite even if it might not. also you look at slr lenses again and take a wide angle lense and it might be f 1.8 or something similar to that. take the most expensive 600 mm lens and the best it will be is 2.8 so explain that. you can see the logic. also you could look at it in another way. a wide angle converter usually has larger elements so you would assume that it would let less light in. you look at it like a magnigying glass and when you put it in the sun and focus it on something to burn it. if you make the size of the light on the object the same size with two different size magnifying glasses the larger of the two would have a brighter and hotter focal point then the smaller one so the intensity would be higher indicating that a wide angle lens just might let in more light because after all the focal point will be the same all the time being the size of the ccd.

Thats my arguement so tell me why this may not be true
Justin
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #15
Major Player

=)
Frank I can go into proving my point, but I saw so much written, and still there's no resolve. I don't have the option to test this, so if you do please test it.
I see that this test in particular can be a big pain... for some reason =)
George Beck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant